We are trying to work out a parenting order with the biodad, my 4yr. has started spending time with him everyother weekend for the past 5 months. What is reasonable for sharing holidays, my 4yr. has never been away from home for any holiday.

The biodad is asking for extended holiday visists which include every holiday every other year.

franfran811

Asked by franfran811 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• How far away does he live? Are there siblings?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Reasonable would be something you can both agree upon, which hopefully you can. Is there a way to split the holidays? Or the norm seems to be alternating years.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 8:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Everyone I know splits holidays equally. Spring break is every other year, Christmas and tThanksgiving swap off every year. Nobody get them Thanksgiving AND Christmas the same year. They split labor day and memorial day. Birthdays they try to spend together with the child if they can. Mothers Day always with Mom DFathers Day always with Dad. They split summers right don the middle.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think it depends on how far way. I will share with you how we do it

Christmas is noon on Christmas eve to noon on Christmas day. And noon on Christmas day to noon on Dec 26. One year i'll get the Christmas Eve/Christmas morning and the next year I get the Christmas day at noon to Dec 26 (although since he lives with me unless it's his weekend I keep him)

Thanksgiving and Easter it's every other year. He gets him the night before for these holidays until the evening of the holiday

Holidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor day is 9 to 5 every other year, alternating the holidays.

He gets him every other weekend and he also gets him two non consecutive weeks over the summer

This is the standard agreement in the county in which I live--including the Sharing Christmas day thing.

I hope this helps.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The way layh41407 stated is how we STARTED....then it got to be too much trouble for him so....

It is hard to be without them on holidays...but you can start your own traditions.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2011