Head hitting

My son is 15 months old an just recently started hitting himself in the head... is this a stage?? any other mommies going through this?? how long will it last.

he doesn't have an earache. hes just hitting himself specially if he doesn't get his way. takes his hand an just smacks himself =/

akalei

Asked by akalei at 8:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yup mine too. or she will find a wall and but her head on it. Far as I know it is common and just a stage cuz they can't communicate their feels verbally

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• oh my gosh!! a wall?! this makes me nervous!
    akalei

Comment by akalei (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It is a sign of frustration. Help him through it by calming him, redirecting him, and being there for him. It should pass with guidance.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Oh my, hitting.. I have a 16 month old who thinks that hitting, and hitting of any sort. With the head, hands, hitting her own head off of things, hitting herself in the head with things, its just NUTS! I experienced nothing like this with my first. It's so bad that she busted me square in the face with her helmet. That about sent me to the edge. I had to put her in her crib and I cried... I am ready to be done with this stage!
    Jennifer_wells

Answer by Jennifer_wells at 9:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Please don't feel alone, my 16-mth-old son does the same thing. Sometimes he even lightly taps his head on the wall or floor, if he sees we are looking. I was hoping it was a phase, and I am glad now to find out it is. I wish there was an easy fix or easy way to get through it. Funny thing is I don't remember his older brother doing it, but then again all kids are different. I wish you the best of luck, and I'm sorry you are going through it too.
    MrsTGritton

Answer by MrsTGritton at 12:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yep, its a stage. My son is 20 months and still occasionally will bang his head on the floor or hit himself in the head with his fist. Also, usually when he doesn't get his way. Although you want to make it stop, don't make it a big deal or give in to whatever he is upset about. This will reinforce that this is a way to get what he wants. I agree with elizabr - calmly redirect. My son is doing this much less than he used to.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011