Why can't convicted felon's vote?

I must be missing something. I'm just wondering why we encourage everyone to vote, and we get mad at people who have the right to vote, but don't. I don't understand why a convicted felon, who has turned their life around and become a productive member of society shouldn't be able to vote. Everyone should care! I guess my thinking is, I was always told it's my duty as a citizen of the US to vote, not a privilege. I'm not being snarky here, but am I missing something?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• They can in most states. In a few stated they can vote while incarcerated.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The simple answer to your question is that felons can't vote is because voting is a civil right and you forfeit certain rights, temporarily anyway, when convicted of a serious crime.

Although some felons have been legally disenfranchised, others have not. Specifically, while only four states allow felons to vote while they are in prison, 18 allow felons to vote while they are on parole and 21 allow them to vote while on probation. Only 10 states permanently disenfranchise all felons and another handful do so to some ex-offenders or restore the ability to vote after a time limit.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1789/why-cant-felons-vote
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 9:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• There are 12 states plus the district of columbia that do allow convicted felons to regain the right to vote upon release. I personally believe every citizen should have the right to vote no matter what, there are political crazies in and out of prison. If one out gets to vote, why not the one in.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thanks for answering everyone! I have always wondered about this. :)
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It's not the only right they lose - right to carry a weapon, right to assemble and associate with other felons, for some, the right to govern what goes in their body (either forced medication or restrictions from things like alcohol use). There are other privileges they can lose, too, like driving or working in certain careers. Depends on the state how much they lose and for how long.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You've brought up a good point! I'm embarrassed to say I've never really thought abought AFTER they're released from prison. I'm definetly going to research our state and see what the law states.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Most felons can vote after the are released from parole. Not upon release from prison. It may also depend on the felony and state what rights are returned to the felon after release.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• In my state they are allowed to vote once sentencing for the crime is served including probation.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My fil is an ex con and he votes. As long as they are done with their sentence and parole in NC they can vote.

Answer by gemgem at 9:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The questions hould be why can they?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2011