When do you think a girl is old enough to bath herself?

My MIL was shocked when I told her that the girls can run their own bath water and bath themselves. My oldest is 7 and my youngest will be 5 this year. I think that if you don't show them early and make it priority then they will take cleanliness too lightly. Plus, I still bathe them twice a week myself and especially if they have been making mudpies!

BillieHolidae

Asked by BillieHolidae at 9:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• i think its maturity not age and you know your kids are they clean then thats all that matters
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My sister could shower alone at 7, one just had to glance in at the very end to make sure all the shampoo was rinsed out. Boys are a little different with shorter hair and different parts, but DS is 5 and can bathe/shower independently. Again, I just check to make sure everything is rinsed off.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• 5 is about right with me. My son started at 5. Before then, it was everybody together. He watched me and now can start the bath, put in bubbles, wash and rinse his hair... all by himself.

As soon as my youngest is about 4, they will all be on their own (assuming the 4 year old will be bathing with 6 year old sister). Now, I help them rinse their hair and ensure the 2 year old stays safe. I totally trust the 4 year old with the bathtub. I'd let her go alone, though it's young to rinse long hair properly.

What are you going to do, keep watching them bathe till they hit puberty? At some point, you have to let them alone, and I say that's when they are safe (ages 4ish-6 I'd guess, depending in the kids). I want my kids to learn to be independent as soon as they're safe.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My son is 7 and takes his own showers, has been for at least a year now. My daughter is 4 and can bathe herself as well. When I'm in a hurry though I'll still help her rinse her hair.

Part of our thing though is that she's been showering after swimming since she was 8 months old so it's the "normal" for her. Only in the past six months or so has my son been really good at getting himself clean without prompting or help. My kids are also super stubborn and insist on doing everything themselves, whether they can or not.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think it all depends on the child. I know I was in kindergarden when I was taking baths and showers by myself. Some kids just need more help than others. As long as tehy can they do it then they should be able to imo
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• my youngest is 3 so oviously she doesn't yet, but my oldest she will be 6 in 2 weeks and 2 days and she can't bathe herself yet. I been working with her, but she can't seem to get how to shut off and turn on the water lol. It really isn't that hard, but she can't get it lol. She deffinatly can't wash her hair she doesn't get her hair all wet. I still have to even wash her body sometimes because I give her the spong and soap to wash and she doesn' do very good at it my 3 year old eashs her body better than my oldest does lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• well, none of my kids can bathe on their own but that doesn't mean they "take cleanliness lightly" either. my oldest is 4 and can wash herself but not her hair. im sure i could show her how to run a bath but i am really not bothered by doing it for her. at 4 there are so many things they can do by themselves, so i see no reason to make her run her own bath. when she turns 5 in october, then i might start thinking about it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Rose, my kids are the same way. My 4 year old took herself off of thumbsucking and told me when she wanted to wear big girl panties. I mean it is normal for my kids to do somethings on their own. Plus I am always around them when they get started to make sure their safe. My kids get curious but never "finger in the light socket". I am thankful for that but their independance does not make me slack on safety. Good response :)
    BillieHolidae

Comment by BillieHolidae (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My daughter just recently turned 5 and she does not bathe independently. She is also developmentally delayed, so she's about a year behind. I've never taught her how to turn the water on, so I think she'd struggle with getting the temperature right and I don't think she's strong enough the plug the tub. She also can't wash/rinse her own hair. I do have her get her hair wet and help me with washing and rinsing and she washes her body by herself. I'm hoping by 6 she'll be bathing herself independently.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011