I'm addicted to brown water...Dr. Oz would be so upset with me. How did you kick the habit?

Brown water is sodas, colas, root beers.

QandA

Asked by QandA at 9:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Health

• OK, I quit because soda left me with an icky aftertaste in my mouth. That made me not want it any more. I knew I'd have that icky taste all day if I indulged. Hmmm, some substitutes:

If you like caffeine, you can try unsweetened tea (my mother got me to like tihs by starting with slightly sweet tea, then cutting down. Now I love unsweet and can't drink sweet! Caffeine and no bad stuff :-)

If you like fizzy, get club soda. Can't drink it straight? Put some juice in it. It will still be way better than coke

If you like sweet, fruit juice &water

Either way, lots of water (with a little fruit in it if you need it). And cut down slowly on the caffeine if you drink a lot and plan to quit!

I don't really care for the advice given by a lot of the people on TV either, but we pretty much know there's a ton of sugar or artificial junk in soda, plus acids and other nastiness, so I'd say cutting down on that stuff is a great goal
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Who really gives a crap what Dr. Oz says?!? He's sold out to go on TV.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• OH!!! lol...oh yeah I'm completly addicted to Pepsi and have absolutly no intention of ever "kicking the habit" lol...it's better then smoking and it makes me happy...so take THAT Dr Oz LOL
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• She put on her post it's sodas, cola, rootbeer etc... I went to diet and only have about one a week... That was over 10 yrs ago.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Fill your home with other options. Drink lots of water so you arent "thirsty"
    k.raine

Answer by k.raine at 9:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• i am cutting back on all sugars. i am sad to let sodas go but i feel better! its not as harmful as other addictions!!
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 9:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I simply cannot have soda around. When I do buy it, I buy 2 liters so I am less likely to drink a lot or any (its more of a hassle to get a cup and fill it up than it is to crack open a can). I also only buy gas with a check card. If i go into the store I am bound to come out with a bottle of soda...
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I LOVE LOVE LOVE Dr Pepper but can't handle the caffeine, so it was fairly easy to cut back and then cut it out. I still enjoy (oh boy do I enjoy it!) on occasion, but not daily. Or think of it this way - I don't know you personally so don't take this the wrong way - but if you want to lose weight, cutting it out would help drop pounds in a hurry!
    Anonymous

• Try replacing it with other things? Start out slow, and perhaps cut one or two drinks out a day until you're finally down to none.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• What is brown water??? My first thought is water out of some rusty pipes but I'm sure thats not what your talking about lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2011