MIL goes weeks without seeing LO...

But, now she invites us over, but we have too many things planned for this weekend...the last time we got together, I was the one who set it up.

I'm now fighting a bad cold and am annoyed...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• I'm just going to add that while I understand that everyone has issues their moms and mils regarding their kids, my mother in law passed away a month before I met DH. My mom passed away after battling a long term illness when my DD was 2 and my DS was 4 months. I would give just about anything to have them back in my kid's lives, even if they annoyed me from time to time.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• my mil goes weekS without seeing our kids. i just don't care anymore, ive gotten over it and so have my kids. i am tolerate of when she wants to get together but i do not put the effort out anymore, i got tired of being rejected simply for asking if she wanted to see her grandkids.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If it isn't convenient for you don't go.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 9:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• my mil is like that.. she expects us to come see her every week but she never makes an effort to come see my kids...we can't go for a few weeks b/c my dh is working weekends now and i don't have a way to get to her house (car trouble) but bet you she'll whine about it and still not come see the kids herself
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yea, my own mom is like that. And if I dont have time when she wants to, its MY fault! Even though I try to set things up with her all the time (including dinner this week.) Uggghhh.
    k.raine

Answer by k.raine at 9:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• What are you annoyed about? She invited you, you can't make it, you politiely decline and ask to schedule another time. I'm not sure why you reference not seeing LO for a week, is that too long for you? Confused why this is an issue.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• gramsmom, not just A week, but WEEKS (s at the end, meaning multiple).

I'd just let her know that you're sick, apologize that you cannot make it, and try to set up another time to get together. How far apart do y'all live from each other?

I'm sad I'm going to have to tell my MIL sorry that we're not going to be able to afford coming up to see her (over 1000 miles away) if the gas prices continue to rise.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• sorry about your losses, gramsmom...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Ah, sorry, didn't see the "s" in weeks....but still, I don't see an issue, just tell her your weekend is booked and you are not feeling well and reschedule.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• lucky for me, we live about 10 miles from the IL's, but i'm a firm believer that absence makes the heart grow fonder...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011