How toget my husband to "open his eyes"....

We are looking for our first home to buy . We have a super small budget in a small town (so there are very few to choose from) ...

We are to a point to where we HAVE to move.... we are renting now and so our choices are to buy ( which we spent the last year fixing our credit so we could) or rent somewhere else -- the only places available wont except pets and my husband wont part with our 2 dogs ( which I would prefer not to either) .... We have alwasy wanted to buy and I just feel right now we should, I mean if he wont give up the pets, we basically have to buy.

We have seen some nice houses and we can basically chose between 2. One is an older home that I LOVE ( it is almost exactly like the house I grew up in - the house we got married in ) but it has all brand new windows, new furnace, new cooling, new roof, plus a beautifully landscaped fenced in yard and 2 large decks .... he doesnt like it because it is "too old"

the second is one built in the 80s and then updated all of this time and has only had one owner ( a craftsman) ... there is a few things that are out dated ( like the wall colors, cabinets ( that we could easily paint white) , and light fixtures -- easy things to change ) ... I really like this one too ( but not in love with it like the other) ....

I think I am looking at this with an open mind.... we have a low budget, we cannot buy a brand new house ( like he thinks we can) .... I love vintage homes and I love to fix things up -- when we moved into this rental it was covered in shiny wallpaper and outdated flooring... less than $200 and everyone that comes over talks about how nice it is ( our landlord told us we can do whatever we wanted to it, when we moved in ) .... I think he is just looking at the ugly and not at the good investment..... we are on the very low end of the housing markets and yet we were able to find these 2 houses ( especially the bigger one) with all of these updates and extras --- but yet he wants to hold out to find something that has EVERYTHING updated and that we can still afford... I just want to smack him upside the head and make him understand it isnt going to happen !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Sorry bud, you gotta take what you can get (not directed at poster but to the hubster).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• ** not to mention he knows my dad is a great handyman -- our home growing up was over $100 years old and he gutted it and completely updated it all by himself ( and it was a wonderful home to grow up in ) .... he is also a fire chief and has done hundreds of home inspections ... so he would also be helping....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Have you preapproved for a mortgage?? If you haven't - do that and it will be the wake up call he needs.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would just keep pointing out the good points. And quick. Houses can go fast when other buyer appreciate the work.

I, for one, like older houses. They have character and are usually built better than some of the newer homes. (another point for you to state).
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• well smack him along the head with an interior decorating magazine with gorgeous new updated homes in it and then say "this isn't realistic" open checkbook and say "this is!" : )
    hahaha I don't know. It's awesome that you can get one! I would love to get a bigger place but we are not ready right now.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 9:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• yes we have been mortage approved -- he thinks for this little bit of money we can find something new and updated --- he even said he would rather buy one of those new trailors and put it on a piece of land instead of getting a big old home ...... we have lived in 2 rentals that were old homes and his parents have a mobil home that is like 5 years old -- and in worse condition than these 50+ year old houses. ..... he just drives me crazy lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with smacking him upside the back of the head. Have the Realtor show you (On PAPER) a brand new house and have her/him highlight the price!

I didn't think you could use a mortgage for a trailer - at least in NC you can't - as it is treated like a car and not a house.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Get them both professionally inspected and then look at the reports together to make the decision.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Don't suppose you could get your father to speak with him about it? Maybe coming from another man he'll actually pay attention and listen. Sucks, but some men are stubborn and won't listen to what the woman has to say :/
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• in this day and age you have to take what u can afford.....
    dmkitchen

Answer by dmkitchen at 11:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2011