Help please. what should i do with ds? kind of long.

My DS turned 3 back in December. We got him a toddler bed in early January. The 1st night he stayed in his bed, but after that night he won't stay in bed. Every night since then we have to check on him every couple of minutes to make sure he isn't getting into anything that he shouldn't be in. He tries to climb into his sisters crib. She almost 2. I'm really afraid he will hurt her. Should I put him back in his crib until later on down the road or just deal with him getting out all the time. Its always a battle at night. We have tried explaining that its his bed and dd's crib is hers. It just isn't working. Please if you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

tnvplus2

Asked by tnvplus2 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is why I can't stand toddler beds. With my children - we did traditional twin beds - and I was able to lay with them in bed, read a story, sing lullabyes, rub backs, until the bed became a safe place for them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I don't think you should revert to a crib at the age of 3, so I'd say go with twinsplus2more's suggestion, it sounds quite good.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Do you have an extra crib? If I did I would put him back in. I had all my children close together and a few of them wanted to stay a baby when new baby came. The way I felt about is was, my ds/dd didn't choose to have a new baby come around, I did. So if he/she needed more time to be a baby that was fine with me.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We got rid of his crib cause we thought it was taking up space and we aren't having anymore kids. I don't want to give up but he's a stubborn boy lol.
    tnvplus2

Comment by tnvplus2 (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• At three you should be able to explain to him that he needs to stay in bed. With my lo, when I need or want him to do something we use stickers as immediate rewards. Then after so many stickers he gets a big prize (dollaar tree gift, whatever his currency is). So if he stays in bed he gets a sticker in the morning, then "cash" them in after a certain time.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I like Austinsmom's suggestion. I have heard that using a sticker chart is a very effective solution in some cases.
    mrsjksimmons

Answer by mrsjksimmons at 6:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2011