How do you get mildew off of painted areas in a bathroom?

I'm worried if I spray a mildew cleanser for tile on the paint it would take the paint off. I would prefer a non-chemical solution if possible and the "recipe" but am interested in a commercial cleanser that would do the job.
Thanks!

Kajon

Asked by Kajon at 10:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Vinegar and water. BUT, you need to solve the mildew problem to start with by installing a fan or fan that moves more air.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thanks Jademom07 but what would the water/vinegar ratio be? Yeah, we do have a bathroom fan, but obviously it's not working well enough!
    Kajon

Comment by Kajon (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Depending on the type of paint it is. If it is gloss paint, I would try a mildrew remover or cloax clean up , but if it is a flat paint, I agree with Jademom07, with the vinegar and water . Hope you get the right cleaner to help out with it.
    Gasburgmamax2

Answer by Gasburgmamax2 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I mix mine 50/50. I use it to clean a lot of things in the house. google the uses of vinegar and you will find that it can be used for pretty much anything.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Depending on the paint, you can use soft scrub with bleach and let it stand for a bit, then scrub it off. That worked when I cleaned houses. Here at home I just remove the caulk and repaint as I am allergic to bleach and vinegar.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Viniger and water works mericles
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It will depend on the paint but Tilex Mold and Mildew works really well or you can mix bleach and water to remove it. I have never tried the vinegar and water solution before so I don't know if it works or not.
    giyaof3gc

Answer by giyaof3gc at 9:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• scrape it with a razor blade then clean it.. if its on tile it shoulnt damage it. took a job cleaning dorm apartments, we used bleach water and razor blades, but vingar and water works better.. but if you take a flat razor blade to the tile in your shower you'll scrape off some crap you didnt even know was there..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• vingar helps
    LilMissCupcake

Answer by LilMissCupcake at 1:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yep, vinegar is great! You could use it straight, if you can stand the smell!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2011