When I run/..... (what did you do to prepare for a long run?)

I typically only run for 1.5miles. This saturday I am going to do a little over a 5k, which is about 3 or so miles.

I am terrified.

Well the Human race is in my town in a few weeks and it is a 10k run, which is 6.2miles.

eep

advice

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 10:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I'd have to recommend NOT drinking that much on the day of the run. I don't drink that much and I'm training for a marathon. I'd be stopping for the bathroom every mile otherwise - you're only running 3.1 which isn't enough time to dehydrate that much! I drink plenty of water the day before a long run (probably about 8-9 glasses throughout the day) and that morning, 1 big glass before I eat breakfast. Much more than that, you'll possibly feel sloshy and full and that's no fun on a run.
    That said, if you're used to running 1.5 miles straight and normally walk the other 1.5 back, Why not try run/walk/run intervals. Run for 4-5 min and walk 1 min and repeat. Google Jeff Galloway for info in run/walk/run. It's how I started! You could probably do your 10k that way as well! Good luck!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:18 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Well, this is a little late, but...couch to 5K trains you to run a 5K in 9 weeks...or you can go to www.halhigdon.com for some training programs. He is a marathon runner that is also a writer for Runner's World magazine. I LOVE his programs. You can't really train for a 5K in just a few days unless you are a runner that is used to running at least 3 miles at a time...

Good luck and have fun...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• hydrate. drink lots and lots of water starting hours beforehand. if the 5 k is in the afternoon start drinking first thing in the morning and keep filling that glass (not too much, a full glass every hour and a half is good) good hydration pumps you with energy. i have my highest endurance when i'm well hydrated
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• a 5k is 3miles, well 3.1. I am not used running 3miles at a times, but I do run 1.5miles, walk 1.5 back. Alls I have to do is run it back.

A full glass every hour? I will do that, I typically don't drink that much.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Don't expect to run that much further from one run to the next if you haven't been increasing your distance regularly. You are setting yourself up for injury. You shouldn't be increasing any more than 10% each week, so DOUBLING your distance is dangerous.
    I agree you should try running some intervals- try running 2 minutes, and walking 1, even from the start. It will also help you learn how to pace yourself.
    Definitely carry water with you. I carry a 24 ounce water bottle with me regardless of my distance (not more than 5 miles), and if I'm running for an hour or more, I carry some Gatorade too. Have a snack for afterward (I like having a banana after my good runs).
    Make sure you empty your bladder before the 5K, too! =)
    HAVE FUN!!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2011