Do you have a picky eater?

My ds has to be the pickiest eater I've ever seen. He's my youngest of 5, never had this problem before. All he will eat is bologna, cold hot dogs, pizza, and peanut butter on bread or crackers. Getting him to eat fruit veggies or real meat is like pulling teeth. Any suggestions? He just turned 5, by the way, but he has delayed development so acts more like a 3 yr old.

lovinlifewith5

Asked by lovinlifewith5 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• My advice is to buy Deceptively Delicious and start making meals with hidden goodies in it! I have THE MOST pickiest eaters on the planet (I feel like!) and this is the only way they eat veggies... period!
    stellarluna

Answer by stellarluna at 1:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My 5 year old is a bit of a turd when it comes to getting her to eat. If she had her way, it'd be cheeseburgers everyday. So, I started mixing it up a bit to get her to eat stuff. With veggies, I cut them up and give her ranch dressing to dip them in. She LOVES ranch, I think I could get her to eat anything with ranch. Also fresh fruits are more fun with a little vanilla yogurt drizzled on them. I cut her steak, pork, or chicken up into little pieces and drizzle ranch dressing on it (see what I mean about the ranch ahaha). I also get veggies and fruits into her by making smoothies or slushies out of them (I don't add sugar either, just ice, fruit/veggie, and yogurt if we're doing a smoothie). I've learned to be crafty with her =P
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Only suggestion I have is not feeding him what he wants. He will eventually get hungry and eat the good stuff, at least I would hope so.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I tricked my 3yr old into eating the good stuff. He would ask me for a snack and I would give him a hand full of carrots and some ranch dressing, and i would have some with him, so that he thought it was the best thing in the world. Now he eats just about anything that I give him. He loves to eat salad, and he eats veggies and fruits with me every day. He tells me that he will get big and strong like daddy if he eats his fruits and veggies. I traded peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for ham and cheese sandwiches like his dad eats, and just loves "snake" (steak) with catsup. You just have to try different tactics, if one doesn't work don't give up, try another.

Good Luck... Maggie May
    sianniona

Answer by sianniona at 11:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My daughter hates spaghetti. When we have spaghetti night and she doesn't eat them I make her aware that she will not get anything else for dinner but what is on her plate. After an hour at the table, her little hungry self sure did eat the spaghetti.
    PrettyGirlRedd

Answer by PrettyGirlRedd at 1:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2011