Do your parents trust your parenting skills?

Been having trouble lately with my mom. I feel like she doesn't trust my parenting skills, even though I've been raising my daughter for almost two years practically by myself, she still has doubts about certain things that I do with her. For example, my husband and I have a truck and we put her car seat in the front. We did the research to make sure it was legal and it is! Because most trucks don't have airbags in front. But my mom questions us putting her in the front seat anyway even though we told her we did the research.

It's frustrating! I just wish she would trust my judgement. Anyone else have this problem?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 5:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yes ... 90% of the time :)
    Anonymous

• Nope. I raised my kids without her help and most of the time she was out of the state. She trusts my parenting skills and even if she didnt she never had much choice.

Answer by gemgem at 5:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Just because something is legal, doesn't make it the safest choice.
    Anonymous

• Yes, my parents trust my parenting skill 100%.

And they also know, that if i need advice then I will call them and ask. My parents raised me and my younger brother, so they know a little more about parenting than i do. I appreciate every advice. My parents would never say "you have to it this way and dont do things like that.". No they would never do that.

Our daughter is the first grandchild of both of our parents, so they always allow her things we wouldnt. But when we are around our daughter has to go by our rules. And our parents accept it and they know we are doing a good job.

Nobody is perfect though ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Answered at 10:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 by: Anonymous

"Just because something is legal, doesn't make it the safest choice."

^^^you should do some research too! I have seen so many tests on TV. They tested which seat in the car is the safest for a baby/child. NONE! They tested all kinds of different accidents with different cars and it all came to the same result: No matter where in the car your child will sit at: the risk is the same everywhere. I always thought the back right seat would be the safest, but i was wrong. If someone hits my car in the back right side, then my child gets hurt. Same at the back left seat and the right front.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• WEll I'm not gonna keep my child from going anywhere for the fear of getting in an accident. That's not healthy for me or her! So it's a big risk to put her in the truck w hen we travel but I think as long as my husband and I are good drivers and pay attention to the road, there is nothing to worry about. It's the other assholes that are driving we gotta worry about.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Moms...are like that. My mom, bless her heart, means well.But she is so damn bossy. We were bbqing a few weeks ago (yea we live in Tx and it stayed warm til 2 weeks ago lol) and I was on the phone with her..telling her how my 4 yr old loves to watch the fire! and she said "Don't let that baby get burned!"

Yea mama..I'm gonna stand back and allow my child to go and play in fire.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I think my problem is that I take every criticism of my mother's too personal. Yet at the same time I wish she would trust my parenting! I mean...I think I'm doing pretty damn good considering it's my first child and I've been raising her practically on my own for almost two years. (Husband goes away alot because of work.) I mean she's perfectly in one piece, she hasn't seriously been ill, she's happy most of the time, and she's a pretty good kid! So you would think my mother would have a little faith in me, but I just feel like she doesn't! And that hurts! Sorry I've gone on more than I was meant to.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• my mom doesnt like my parenting skills i believe in spanking she doesnt she also thinks im to harsh on my daughter favoring my son. she's been that way since i had my son almost 3 years ago. she lives 3 streets down from me, when ever we go anywhere i have no control over my kids.
    jo-42

Answer by jo-42 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2008