Kids with behavior problems... more then one per family...

I have a friend, who has two kids, two boys. The oldest son when in my presents have never been ovary-hyper in my option. BUT his mom does everything for him. And I know, his home life is UMMM< less then perfect. Marriage problems, too many to list. She often confides in me about their problems.
Anyhow, now she says the younger son, has been diagnosed with ADD, just like the older son.
My question, is do you think some of kids problems with ADD, ect… Might have to do with their family life? How they were raised?
I don’t want to get beat up over this question and I don’t have much experience in dealing with kids with ADD, ect…
But it seems odd to me that two or more kids in the same family having the same behavior problems. The oldest son, did stay with us for a week once, while little brother was in the hospital - I personally had no problems with him. He was a typical little boy, loved to play and be outside.

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Health

• I think ADD is overdiagnosed in the US and that a lot of it has to do with simply behavioral problems that stem from their up bringing and what happens at home.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• ADD/ADHD is way overdiagnosed. Behavior has a lot to do with social cues from within the family. True ADD/ADHD is hereditary and can be present in all siblings.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• ADD/ADHD probably is over diagnosed but as pp stated, it does run in families.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:43 AM on Apr. 15, 2011