How do you get kids to go to sleep?

I have been having a hard time getting my kids to go to sleep. They seem to want to play and ask a million questions when it is bedtime. What are some ways to get your kids to go to bed without any problems? They are 5 and 6 years old.

TwinsTwice2011

Asked by TwinsTwice2011 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We started having problems with DD about a year or so ago (she's 5 now). Her bedtime is 9pm and what we started doing was, as long as she keep herself in her room, allowing her to play until 10pm. She is hardly ever still awake at 10pm, but if she is, we just peek our heads in and say "time to get into bed!" Normally we don't get a fuss....
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• MAKE THEM TAKE A WARM BATH BEFORE BED THEN MAKE THEM LAY DOWN AND TURN OFF THE TV EVENTUALLY THEY'LL GET BORED AND FALL FAST ASLEEP WORKS EVERYTIME!
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My daughter's bedtime is at 9pm, she's 4, and at about 8:30pm I let her know that once the big hand reaches the 12 is bedtime. Sometimes she cries or nags about it but regardless I send her to bed, turn off the light and close the door. But usually she gives me no problems at all.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• my kids 5 3 an 2 go to bed at 8:30 - at 8pm we sit down read stories and relax without tv.. then they go to bed.. if they try talking to me after we said goodnight i will tell them to stop talking and im ignoring them. after they realize i am done answering their questions and ignoring them, they will go to sleep!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thanks for the advice. I am going to try all of them and see what works.
    TwinsTwice2011

Comment by TwinsTwice2011 (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My little niece used to do well if there was soft music playing in her room. My two year old loves for me to sing to her before she goes to sleep at night. Her favorite songs are Dream A Little Dream Of Me and Landslide. At their age, reading them a story might help.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 1:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• put on a movie before their bedtime and lay them down to watch it. they might fall asleep during it.
    JoyJoy

Answer by JoyJoy at 12:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I've had the same problem for awhile now. Just recently I started putting them to bed at different times. My 5 yr old goes to bed at 8:30 and I put my 3 yr old to bed at 9. It's worked pretty good so far.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have no problems with my kids going to sleep
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 12:56 AM on Apr. 19, 2011