Would you take two kids under 4 to a graduation ceremony?

To see their older sister graduate? It's a large high school and the event will be held in a full-sized sports arena. It will probably be 3 hours long or so. Part of me says "It's their sister, it's important" part of me says "... they don't know wtf a graduation IS."

DazzlednSeattle

Asked by DazzlednSeattle at 11:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ummmm.....I would be so stressed the entire time that my child was too loud and/or was bothering other people that I wouldn't be able to relax at all during the graduation. I think I'd be asking the older sister if she wanted them there. If she's indifferent, think I'd be getting a baby sitter for a few hours.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• it might be a little hard for them espeically that they have to sit there for the whole time.. i have 3 kids, 5 3 2 .. they hate having to sit at a place for a long period of time, they get bored and whinny then you get ' i have to pee' 'im hungry' 'im thristy' haha. my daughter has dance competitions and we gotta almost be there all day.. my 2 year old has to walk around most of the time! .. my 5 year old is just plain bored and wants to leave.. i bring snacks for them.. its still really hard! .. . i would probably have someone watch them, they arent going to care what is going on and want to pay attention! good luck! and congrats on the sister!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would get a sitter. If they were older and grasped the eventthen yes. They will be miserable and so will you.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I don't think it is reasonable to expect them to sit still that long. It is more important that you go and be there for her. Get a sitter and enjoy your daughter's graduation.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I had to take my 8 month old twins to my brothers graduation because I had no one to watch them. They did well because they just sat in laps. his 3 year old son was there too, but he had trouble because he was bored and the noise got to him too :/ I think it depends on the kid. maybe if they had a leappad to play with or something like that. but, i don't think it would be a huge deal if you got a sitter because they probably won't remember it, and youre right they have no idea what its all about.
    plus if youre having to deal with them the whole time you won't get to sit and enjoy the whole thing!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• No, I wouldn't take them. Grads are important events, but how much will you really be able to concentrate or enjoy it with having to keep two little ones occupied? They won't get anything out of it really, they'll be miserable and bored, and you'll end up missing out on the experience. You could have a little party with the little ones and their sister, do some photos with her in her cap and gown or dress or whatever to commemorate the event, and then you could go and be able to make it special for her, make it be about her and not about being stressed about the little ones.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• well i'm taking my 2 yo son to my sister in laws college gradutation... it's his fav aunt so i shouldn't let him miss something she wants him to go to.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 2:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think it depends on the child.

My oldest was about 4 months old when my brother graduated the first time from culinary school. The school was out of state and a long enough car ride that we were staying over night. My parents, DH, my son and I all went. When the baby got fussy, DH took him out of the lecture hall.

Two years later when my brother was graduating with his bachelors from the same school, my oldest was a toddler and I was pregnant with my 2nd. We didn't think DS would make it through that time so DH stayed home with him and I went up with my parents for the graduation.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The question is, do you think that your children will sit and cooperate for 2-3 hours?
    Personally, I wouldnt. They wont understand what is happening, and you will not be able to enjoy it as much, what if they both get fussy, and you have to leave before YOU get to see your daughter walk up to get her diploma. This is about the older sister, its her moment that you should be there for 100%, not trying to keep her siblings entertained. IMO I would leave them home for the ceremony, and bring them to the celebration afterwards..
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If I wanted to enjoy the graduation I would not take the little ones.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 1:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011