DD's getting a big head!

DD has gorgeous eyes. She is always complimented on them. Just a simple shopping trip to Wal-Mart will get her a good 2-3 people saying something. It probably helps that she is a very interactive 5 year old child and will walk through the aisles waving and saying "Hi" to people as we go by. When she gets complimented, I will make sure that she says "thank you" and we usually just move on from there.

It was a few weeks ago, I took her into school early for her speech therapy and the teacher lunch room off from the office was full of teachers eating their lunch. DD walked right in and went up to several of them asking "Do you like my eyes?"

I could think is "my goodness, my child is getting a big head."

Is this something I should be concerned about? She is only 5, but yet if it continues to get worse, I'm worried I'll have a pre-Madonna on my hands at 8!

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You just wait until she gets to her pre-teens and early teens ! My eldest thinks she is God's gift to womanhood . I wish she was but she isn't .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My daughter's head was always big for her age. By the time she was fully grown, you couldn't tell it. She will even out, give her time. Don't call it to her attention though, her self-esteem may suffer if someone says something about it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• She likes how it makes her feel when she gets compliaments. Start to compliament her on other things besides her eyes. Her eyes get her attention which she wants like a normal 5 yr old! Compliament her on the things she does good. She will eventually let the eye thing go or at least get a little more modest about it. Being 5, you can kinda explain to her how its not polite to ask questions like that. I can reason like that with my 4 1/2 yr old son. Also make sure to teach her to compliament other people :)
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My bad, compliment LOL
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 1:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I doubt it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You can't blame her for enjoying the compliments. My daughter is 7 and gets told all the time how beautiful and long her eyelashes are. She eats it up and I don't mind. I just remind her to be just as thoughtful to others and remember how good it feels to receive a compliment. Good luck!
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 7:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I doubt it
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• teach her to accept the compliments gracefully and return them
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 6:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011