Ok, back to my poor gimpy hound

Ok, so I'm having a problem with my redbone hound puppy who's leg is broken. She has been chewing her splint and it's all worn out and I'm worried that it's going to come off. I'm sure it's bugging her but I've never had a dog break a leg before, even though I have broken bones myself, and I have no idea how to do this. Does anyone know what I can do to keep Nikki from chewing her cast?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Pets

• How about a halo? They are also called E-Collars. You can buy them at places like Pet Supplies Plus, Petco, Petsmart. I'm amazed your vet didn't give you one.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I guess I could try that. And Hey, if I put her next to the television maybe I'll start getting HBO. I was hoping for something like to spray on it or something because those things look so stupid.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• They may look stupid but they work. No,they don't make anything u can spray on it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• When my dog had casts on his front legs he had to wear and e-collar.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Aw, poor baby. What happened? Nikki and I got tangled up on the stairs and we fell. I broke my wrist, wrenched my knee, and sprained my ankle and she broke her leg.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Ouch! I've done that but I was the only one that got hurt. The pup in the picture was so malnourished that it effected his legs. They were not broken but they were so over extended and floppy that he wore the splints in hopes of straightening his legs. He is the dog in my Avitar.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Aw, he's cute. I've got a collie named Maggie and the hound pup called Nikki. My collie never got hurt like that but I was carrying a heavy laundry basket and didn't see the puppy running down the stairs and we got tangeled.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• bitter apple spray? I'm not sure if it's safe for casts so I would ask the vet about it before you use it, but that's what some people use to train their dogs out of chewing furniture.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• and ouch! maybe put a baby gate across the top and bottom of the stairs that swing closed? Then you can just swing it shut before you head down/up to avoid another incident. Hope you and your puppy feel better soon.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2011