How much does it cost to carry $14 trillion in debt?

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/ir/ir_expense.htm

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 12:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The progressives, jjb, the progressives. It really started with Teddy Roosevelt and just got worse from there in the modern era. Except for Andrew Jackson, we have never had a balanced budget. (Some have claimed to have balanced it, but in reality, they just reorganized debt which put it into another budget year.)
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• IMO, the only time debt is good is when it either
    A. Comes with a nice tax deductiion...like the new Jeep I just bought
    B. Comes with minimal interest, is an investment and is a long term positive credit indicator...like a mortgage.

The feds don't have either of these....but hey...tinky winky's are clean and the turtles have a tunnel!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I can't figure out how a country like ours ever went into debt to begin with.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• This is just another part of our debt that most people don't think of or understand. When I look at the interest on my cc I always think "I really need to pay this off, the finance charges are crazy". To think we don't even know what this borrowed money went for. Pretty sick and scary to me.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It costs a lot to carry debt period.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2011