Is bipolar and depression a form of retardation

oh and paranoia because my boyfriend seems to think so.

Rachelxbby

Asked by Rachelxbby at 12:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Health

• Is this a serious queston? Because it borders on downright offensive
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• no im serious my boyfriend said that. and yes it offends me to tht is why i am asking!
    Rachelxbby

Comment by Rachelxbby (original poster) at 12:12 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Um, no it's not. Bipolar is a personality disorder & depression is an illness. Your bf should do some research before he goes & says stuff like that, lol ya know ?? I'd tell him to get his facts straight before he says that bc he might one day say something like that to the wrong person. Nowadays, you gotta be careful before you say stuff or do certain things (like road rage, which almost everyone is guilty of LOL) bc people are getting too crazy !!
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• They are definitely NOT forms of retardation, or low intelligence. They are psychiatric problems, or chemical imbalances in the brain that can be helped with the use of medication. Retardation, as you stated it, is a mental handicap, that is characterized by low intelligence and cannot be helped by medication.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Certainly not , he is dead wrong . Some of the most brilliant people in history have suffered fronm depression including Winston Churchill . Severe paranoia can be a symptom of mental illness but not of retardation, they are quite separate, not at all related .

i don't know where he can be getting his information from .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• are you serious? your boyfriend needs to get an education, they teach this is high school health
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• In no way shape , form, or fashion is it a form of mental retardation.I agree it is very offensive as alot of people out there are bi-polar.;I would have googled that question.
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• P.S. Your boyfriend sounds like he may be in need of some um...... well education!
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• no
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• No, it is not mental retardation, both are forms of mental illness, but with normal intelligence.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:41 AM on Apr. 15, 2011