How likely is it that one or both of my kids will get this?

I have ADD and my mother has ADHD. This probably seems like a dumb question but I felt the need to ask. Is anyone else going through this? Is/are your kid(s)?

tnvplus2

Asked by tnvplus2 at 12:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Two of my six kids have ADHD. Neither I nor their dad has it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• ADD and ADHD tend to be random and disbursed throughout families. As ANON stated only 2 of her 6 kids had ADHD. Since it has to do with how the brain functions and sends signals there is belief among the professionals there is some genetic backing to the disorders, but there is no complete understanding to the rhyme or reason it strikes any one person. It's kinda like autism. It's believed to be genetic in cause, but there's no substantial proof, for now it seems to randomly strike at any time. Future testing will provide the answer I'm sure, but for now just be aware your kids could suffer, and be in tune with their needs. Don't be quick to label though, remember some kids are just hyper by nature, and just because you have ADD/ADHD doesn't mean they will.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:44 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Ok thank you very much. What you said makes perfect sense.
    tnvplus2

Comment by tnvplus2 (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yes, some "experts" believe it is a neurological condition that is at least partly influenced by genetics, though modern thinking is that ADHD falls on the autism spectrum and that it might be more of a biological condition rather than a neurological one. One thing for certain is that it is definitely overdiagnosed and certainly misdiagnosed. In my experience, I don't believe genetics play much of a role at all. Much of what is normal childhood behavior or a result of biological conditions/diet/etc. is now considered a brain disorder. Don't be quick to label and be leary of those who do ... it's a hell of a time being on the end of that mentality. I have been there/done that, but by my own tenacity and by doing my own research, I was able to rid my son of his ADHD diagnosis.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have ADHD my DS has it , and my brother has it , my DD does not have it nor my husband I do not think you can tell just who will have it
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 8:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I've said it before...and I'll say it again, check the foods your child is eating. Red dye 40 & yellow 5 have a LOT to do with the change in their behavoirs.

Hopefully it will be something this simple for your child and they possibly don't need medication.

Good Luck!
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thank you everyone. I was just curious because the last thing I want is for one of them to be diagnosed with it and have to be put on meds. I just recently found out I had ADD so I'm just trying to learn more about it and how it may affect my kids. If it does at all. They are still young and I'm not saying they have it. Especially not as young as they are. It was just a I'm curious kind of question. :)
    tnvplus2

Comment by tnvplus2 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Our pediatrician said it is more likely for boys to get it if their dads have it. I dont know if it is true or not. My dd is 6 and pretty hyper, but we keep her in sports and so far I think its age appropriate hyperness lol. Id just keep an eye on it but I wouldnt jump to conclusions.

Answer by gemgem at 7:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• theyre ok regardless moest kids manage fine w/ adhd
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 7:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• ITS NOT HEREDITARY
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2011