Nut allergy question

My oldest son has a nut allergy (been tested on peanuts and walnuts but they want to wait to do a larger scale allergy test until he's 4) How likely is it that my youngest will have a nut allergy?

P.S. I don't plan on giving my youngest nut products because I'd be too afraid my oldest will get a hold of it. I'm just curious.

P.S.S. They are half brothers, if that makes a difference

alinker

Asked by alinker at 1:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Allergies tend to be genetic. However, in the case of my family NO ONE has any history of allergies ever, and DS is deathly allergic to nuts, shellfish, bees, and penicillin. There's no history of allergies in his father's side either so his allergist couldn't tell us why he was so allergic. However, my son is not the norm. They have proved the norm is genetics, if mom or dad or either immediate family has a history of allergies, children are at greater risk. So if it runs in your family then #2 is equally as likely. If your child was like mine, and it was a random fluke, chances are the next one is fine.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It's still a crap shoot frankly. Having a family history of allergies increases one's risk of developing them. BUT, that's simply an increased risk. Its NOT an automatic and direct connection. In fact, there are studies of twins (both identical and fraternal) where one is allergic and the other is not. Your youngest will not be allergic simply because your oldest is. However, your youngest has a higher risk / greater probability than another child his age with no family connection.

For what it's worth - I do not have food allergies. I am allergic to cats and pollens. My DH has seasonal allergies. BIL is allergic to nuts, peanuts, shellfish and eggs. SIL is allergic to peanuts/tree nuts. Nephew is allergic to sesame. My oldest is NOT allergic to a dang thing by seasonal pollens. My youngest is highly allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, fish, oak pollens and other seasonal factors.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My son has a peanut allergy.

My daughter does not.

other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I should have added that mine, too are half siblings.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2011