What are your thoughts on grandparents trying to take you to court for visitation of your child?

LovinMySon84

Asked by LovinMySon84 at 1:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• guess it would depend on why you aren't letting them see the child in the first place. can't say w/out all the info.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• They are rude and disrespectful.
    Never showed any interest in him.
    Called once every few weeks.
    Have seen him only 3 times before our falling out, which was when he was 7 months.
    Never respected my wishes as a mother, just wanted things their way.
    Only decided to be grandparents when it was convenient.
    The list goes on & on
    LovinMySon84

Comment by LovinMySon84 (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Well it would be your word against theirs I guess unless you have good quality witnesses...assuming a court will even hear it. In some states grandparents have no rights by law. In general, its up to you who you let see your child & be a part of their life. I really hope at some point they can begin to be more kind & attentive the way they should be but alas some people can not or will not see the error in their ways. Hopefully you all can come to a resolution so your child can have good grandparents in his life. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I broke up with my abusive boyfriend before I found out I was pregnant and her grandparents have never tried to have a relationship with her. They are, what I call, financial grandparents. They send Alice presents for birthday and chirstmas and they give me some money when they get their income tax but, other then that, they haven't seen her since she was born. I kind of wish they were in my child's life. Why is it that you don't want them in your child's life. Btw, you didn't say if they were the maternal or paternal grandparents.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 1:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• No one can make you allow visits with other people who aren't the child's parents as long as you are the custodial parent. Only you have that say. I don't think any lawyer would even waste the courts time picking up that case.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks I appreciate it. I have already spoken to a lawyer who told me not to even worry about it. It just boggles my mind that they would even think they have the right to do such a thing! Simply because I asked them to come and see him and I stated I was not comfortable with ANYONE not just them taking him overnight. So they decided since they can't take him they just wont see him. I made the effort but now I'm done.
    LovinMySon84

Comment by LovinMySon84 (original poster) at 1:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• These are the paternal grandparents and my SO doesn't even have a relationship with them because they have treated him like garbage his whole life.
    LovinMySon84

Comment by LovinMySon84 (original poster) at 1:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I am sorry you had to deal with this mess. My MIL might pull something like this. The list you posted describes my situation as well.
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 2:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Honestly I am not worried at all I just wanted to know what others thought about this foolishness. I know they don't have a case and so do they, thats why the petition was never filed like they said they were going to do in March. People need to realize the word grandparent doesn't mean that you can do whatever the hell you want, when you want. I am the mother and a damn good one might I add. Honestly my son is not missing out on anything by not seeing them. How can you miss something you never had in the first place??
    LovinMySon84

Comment by LovinMySon84 (original poster) at 2:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Kazmia good luck with that but just keep in mind that it is really hard for a third party to win a case against a parent who is not seen as unfit.
    LovinMySon84

Comment by LovinMySon84 (original poster) at 2:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2011