Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Step parent adoption- applying for a new social security card

My husband adopted my daughter and I am applying for a new social security card. The form asks for the full name and social security number of both the mother and the father. Does anyone know if you put the biological father or the adoptive father? We already have her birth certificate that has my husband's name as her father, but I'm not sure what to put for this form. Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by toriandgrace at 2:12 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Adoption

Level 16 (2,467 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • you should call & ask for sure but it would make sense to me that you put the adoptive fathers name.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • If she already had a SS number then they need to make sure everything matches what they already have on file. Call them and ask. You might have the wrong form. You might have the form for first time application. There should be something for non-infant adoption/name change that wants both fathers' names.

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:44 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • If the step dad is on the birth certificate than to them he is the father

    Answer by MKSers at 12:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • Since the birth father is now a legal stranger to your daughter, the answer is Adoptive.

    Answer by onethentwins at 2:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • That is lovely, but you aren't taking into account that they will not issue a new number and they will want to make sure that they havn't issued the same number to two different children. So they are going to want to confirm that her birth father is her birth father that her original SS number was issued with his name attached. It is going to be dealt with as a name change and they are going to need a copy of the adoption paperwork which will list all 3 parents at some point. When they are done making the change it will only show her adoptive father. But during the process they must confirm that they have the right kid with the right number.

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 3:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • We put our names as tge adoptive parents.

    Answer by frogdawg at 4:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • I know I have the right form. I think I'll call to double check the names though.

    Comment by toriandgrace (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • I believe it would be the adoptive father's name on the Social Security card

    Answer by Christmaslver68 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

  • a new social security card

    Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • You put the adoptive father, as he is the legal father.

    Answer by kasaloso at 4:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Adoption
*Update* New Baby

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
What would be your get away????