What do you do when you can't sleep ?

So, again this week ... I can't sleep !!! This is horrible. Yesterday I was up f rom 5am. I went to bed at 10 and woke up at 5. I took a 2 hour nap from 5 to 7pm when my son left to visit his dad for the evening. Last week, I wasn't even able to nap. I'm so restless. I don't know what to do with myself. I sit here & obess over everything. I start to think about the decisions I've made in the past that I totally regret & it makes me feel even worse! lol I hate that, don't you ? Then I start to get SO upset about my regrets & beat myself up about how I made those decisions. Or I sit here & think about how something upset me (either made me angry or sad) like what someone said or someone did.I start to think about anything & everything. Anyone have any ideas how to relax my mind & to make it go blank ??

loudnproud87

Asked by loudnproud87 at 2:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Health

• Prepare to go to sleep at least 1 hr before you really want to go to sleep. Don't drink any caffeine after 5pm. Sometimes a cup of milk or warm caffeine-free tea helps. Some ppl can't sleep in messy rooms so clean it and use fresh, comfy sheets. Some people need the right temp to sleep. Turn on a fan or set your AC to a cool enough temp for you to sleep (around 67-70 degrees) or if it's already cold, try a blanket warmed in the dryer or electric blanket to keep you warm. Aromatherapy also helps. Reed diffusers are safe and cheap without worrying about candle fires. Flameless candles may also set the mood. Don't read or watch TV. Do deep breathing exercises. Close your eyes even if you're not sleepy yet and imagine being at the most relaxing place you know (the beach, a spa, etc). Imagine the relaxing sounds of the beach. Go to that place that is yours alone where you can free and happy.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I'm so sorry to hear you're having so much trouble...I know how that feels. Sounds like you have a lot of anxiety, though.
    Have you talked to your doctor at all? IF it is anxiety that is causing you to be unable to sleep, there are medications that can help relax that which will, in effect, help you sleep. If you're not open to that option there are always other things though :) Do you find it relaxing to read or take hot baths, go for walks, listen to music, ect? I know it's difficult, but when you have those negative thoughts, just try and tell yourself that the past is the past - there's no sense worrying about things you can't control, decisions that have already been made, ect. What you can control is your future. If you can stop the negative thoughts before they get too out of hand, you might find some peace in that :) Good luck!
    SpiffySnaps

Answer by SpiffySnaps at 2:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks, Sweetie ;) yeah I take xanax whenever needed, but lately just one isn't enough. My body is either getting immune to it & I will have to up my dosage or my anxiety is getting worse. I think its a little bit of both to be honest!! Thanks so much again for your support!!
    loudnproud87

Comment by loudnproud87 (original poster) at 2:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Very sorry to hear your worries are getting the best of you. I know how that feels, especially lately. What helps me to sleep and get my mind off of my troubles is reading a book. It helps to relax me. Add a cup of chamomile tea and eventually my eyes are droopy while I'm reading. It's a minor fix, but it helps me at night. That way I have the day to do what I have to and try to figure out how to solve my issues. Sometimes you just have to let it all go. Don't know if you believe in God but if you do, just pray and give Him all of your worries. Not to say sit on your bottom and do nothing to solve your issues, but just let the worries go to clear your head enough to figure out what can be done. Hope that makes sense.
    JAlonso

Answer by JAlonso at 2:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks so much for your support. You made plenty of sense. I understand what you mean. I can't really find a book I'm interested in right now though, so that really sux. In May my 10th book comes out in the series I'm reading which I can't wait to read, lol I will be up all night reading that tho. It will keep me up, lol !!! :) Its the James Patterson, The Women's Murder Club Series! LOL
    loudnproud87

Comment by loudnproud87 (original poster) at 2:44 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• if you are a tea drinker - try chamomile tea. It works wonders for me. GL
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 3:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• With all this technology we've learned to drown out our feelings and forgotten to LISTEN to them. Evidently, a good yoga or meditation class would be good for you. Turn off every electronic thing like t.v. and radio and just clear your mind. I love to burn candles and incense, and focus on the flame. Allow your mind to go blank, let it go where ever it wants to go. It'll take some practice each day to get to a place of ease and contentment, but it works. Beating yourself up over past mistakes and the regret you feel is counterproductive. Don't do it any longer. You can only make good choices from this point on. Since you said your son went to visit his dad, I'm assuming you're not TOGETHER and that may make you feel anxious and full of anxiety. A good therapist and counseling would do wonders. Get involved in some activity you enjoy; sewing, reading, volunteering, something to focus your mind on other things. I wish you luck!
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 3:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I post on CM and try to help others here. It relaxes me and helps me sleep.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 3:50 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• When I cant sleep I usually read. that will help relax me.
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 7:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Have a set bedtime routine and do the same every night. Do not nap within 6-7 hours of going to bed. I know that if I nap during the day (rare) I will not get the restful night's sleep that I need so I force myself to stay awake and maybe have a cup of coffee. (but don't have any caffeine after a certain hour......which is 4 PM for me) I drink chamomile tea or warm milk at night and during the night if I can't get back to sleep.
    For the regrets...........give yourself permission to know that we screw up sometimes and then we move on. We learn from our mistakes and grow wiser. I have many regrets also but I am a better person today because of them and I know I can not turn back the clock. You might enjoy reading What Happy Women Know by Baker and Greenberg. I have it and often refer to it to remind myself to be good to myself and move on. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2011