Mother of one starting a new career as a teacher, all advice please.

I am 24 years old and have 3 year old daughter. Me and my fiance has been together for 8 years. I have decided to become an elementary teacher after rethinking becoming a nuse due to the demanding schedule. Thankfully I have found a univeristy that offers this program in the evenings. (thank god) now my first step is to go back to school. Any advise on being a mother, wife, full time worker AND a student. Will this program (B.A. in elem. education) be difficult. What can I expect? Thanks for all input.

ms05altima

Asked by ms05altima at 11:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Money & Work

• I did not find my BA progrm or master's program hard, but you have to have commitment, time managment and the desire to well. Ha, I'm a teacher thinking of nursing? What do you think?
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I think its a great career if you have time and dedication. Nursing school and the career itself i feel would be to demanding for me right now. (even though the money would be good) I can always go back to school if i feel that is something i want to do down the line.
    ms05altima

Answer by ms05altima at 11:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I have a graduate degree in elementary and special ed and the loans to prove it. I actually just "thankfully" resigned to stay home and care for my 2 kids. I know I may sound jaded and if your heart is truly in it, great. I just became disheartened after trying everything to help the kids and getting caught up in all the red tape associated with teaching. Not only does it not pay well at all -summers off are a joke You still have planning and seminars etc.
    WellCoach

Answer by WellCoach at 7:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• You will not only have to put in a regular day but be on committees, be willing to grade papers at home, lesson plan, be at every "night" thing they have and be willing to conact parents after hours. Then you will probably have the frustration that many of my colleagues had as well - students with NO support at home at all, students who are not interested in education at all and are completely disrespectful. I have been teaching in one county for 5 years and I finally had enough. There was no support for the teachers and it all came down to it being the teacher's fault. Please think hard about our decision. It is a lot harder than people think it is and you will have no idea until you get in the classroom. I wish someone would have be honest with me like I am with you before I started! Blessings!
    WellCoach

• Check with your particular state's guidelines on professional development. Do you have to be re-certified every few years? If so, can you afford the expense? Check out "help wanted" for teachers in your area- are there any? In some high-need cities, schools will hire non-certs and assist them in becoming cert. if they agree to work for a period of time. Think long and hard- if you are really going to go for it, consider taking a dual degree- elem. ed and math, or foreign language, or literacy. This makes you more "sellable".
    CharlieBoysMom

Answer by CharlieBoysMom at 10:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2008