Breast feeding and Breast pumps!

For my 1st pregnancy, I tried breast feeding and it just was AWEFUL! I would like to try again for this pregnancy, but am afraid of having the same problems as last time. I heard that using a breast pump is alot less painful than breast feeding.. is this true?? Is there anyone out there who only pumped all the time instead of alternating???
I will try breast feeding but if its like last time I would like to try pumpng before just going straight to formula.. is this kinda crazy?? lol Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's much more difficult for most women to exclusively pump than to exclusively breast feed, and the pumps are generally more painful. They also don't get as much milk from your breasts, which means less milk to feed the baby, and less milk your breasts are being told to produce, which quickly leads to a downward spiral. I would STRONGLY encourage you to meet with a lactation consultant (or a few-they all have different tricks). We struggled for the first 6 weeks, and it was devastating. I met with a few lactation consultants, and I took something different from each of them and made it my own. We eventually got it, and nursed for 18 1/2 months! YOU CAN DO IT!!! Get lots of support around you now, and keep that conviction! Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I agree, I alternated between trying to pump & simply feeding my son. Pumping just 2 ounces took me forever to do, until eventually I just bought lots of lanolin & continued regular feedings. Breastfeeding is a learned skill, & like anything else takes a lot of practice & sometimes pain. I was so sore I would start bleeding at times & often cried while nursing, but now we are at a place where we are both comfortable with even sitting down in public to feed. The best thing you can do is seek support from family, friends, & a La Leche League in your area. It will be tough, but rewarding when you can both feed & comfort your baby at the same time :)
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 2:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Maybe I wll try meeting with several.. The lac. consultant I was given was not very patient with me and could see that I was getting frustrated.. My daughter was not latching, mostly biting me.. I had a nurse tell me if this was not a bonding experience between baby and I, I should stop and bond just using a bottle. When I told the lact. consultant the next day that I decided not to breastfeed, she gave me this HUGE lecture and ended it with "you will be the one resposible for killing your baby with formula or giving her a horrible disease!" I was balling my eyes out and my husband was standing there in shock! I told him if that woman ever shows her face in her again Ill strangle her with my bare hands!! LOL (I was very hormonal!) So thats my experience with lact. consultants.. :P
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i think pumping definitely hurt less but doesnt allow you the same bonding opportunity.
    ccaverley

Answer by ccaverley at 2:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• hugsAt least you're trying to overcome the problems you had last time and that's something! As the first comment was more accurate, it does take some getting used to and I'm sure if you meet with a lactation nurse, they can steer you in the right direction. I do wish you all the luck in the world in overcoming this obstacle. I strictly breastfed and only expressed milk by hand than use a pump. So, our challenges are a little different.  Hugs!

Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 2:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Does expressing milk by hand hurt less than pumping?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If the LC said that to you, I strongly doubt she was an IBCLC. Try to see an IBCLC, and now, during pregnancy, start going to LLL meetings. They're a great source of help and support. It sounds like you just need the RIGHT help to nurse, but if in the end, you decide to pump, it CAN be done, but most of the time is a lot more work then just nursing. LLL can help you with pumping too. Bonding is often a nice "side effect" of nursing, but first and foremost, it's feeding. It takes a few days to a few weeks to find your groove with nursing, so try not to give up so quickly, it can be rough in the beginning, but often gets easier after a period.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:14 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Pumping and hand expression are pains in the butt. As was the lactation consultant... do NOT go back to that one. Birth in a barn if you must to avoid her.

Hie thee to the bookstore for a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. INFORMATION is the most important thing you can have right now and that purchase is more important than anything you will get for baby other than the car seat, a sling and diapers.

And drop by the Breastfeedng Moms group. We've had lots of moms like you, including one of my fellow moderators. What happened in the past is past... let's build for the future.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2011