If you knew your child would be born

with autism, while you were pregnat would you still have the child?

sweetangie79

Asked by sweetangie79 at 4:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes. My oldest has autism and my life is so much richer for having him!

Answer by missanc at 9:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Absolutely. I've also never been around a child with Autism but your child is something so precious and that I would love unconditionally no matter what. I don't see how anyone couldn't.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 6:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have never been around a child with Autism, so maybe I really don't understand the daily struggles the parents of an Autistic child goes through, but personally I would still have the child. It's my baby no matter what, and I just couldn't get rid of it. I think the guilt I would have for the rest of my life would be harder to deal with than the every day struggles.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Absolutely, Autism is a challenge, not a curse. In my experience great challenges are met with great rewards.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yes. My son has autism and there is no way that would be enough not to have him.

Answer by gemgem at 7:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yes, I would have my nose in every book reading everything I could getting ready to welcome this little blessing and all their different kind of love! Bring it on!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yep! My oldest is on the Autism Spectrum.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yes I would. By the time they would be able to find out the baby would be far enough along to hopefully survive outside the womb. In saying that, there does come a decision that some parents do to give the baby up for adoption because they cannot handle it and I do not find it selfish at all.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Absolutely!
    Mommy31107

Answer by Mommy31107 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Well seeing how I got pregnant knowing the chances of my children having autism were nearly 100% I would have to say yes.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2011