Smoking....

Everyone has an addiction of some kind....chocolate, soda, cigarettes, fast food. I've tried smoking ONCE. I was very young and remember it tasting horrid, burned my mouth, gave me bad breath and made me want to vomit. After trying this, I cannot for the life of me FATHOM how anyone can WANT to continue to do this. It's horrible for your body, is expensive and stinks. Smokers get treated like second hand criminals and made to do it OUTSIDE. Why would you keep doing this if it has so many risks and does absolutely NOTHING good for you? Will you ever quit? When?

Droyal14u

Asked by Droyal14u at 5:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Health

• I may never quit. I cant fathom how the morbidly obese will keep eating and eating and make excuses as to why they cant or wont control themselves. Same with Alcoholics How do they function with that much booze in their blood? Is there such a thing as a functioning alcoholic? Subtle manipulating devices, just like YOU, Iv got my vices. No matter what ANY of us do or dont do. We ARE ALL going to die someday. Eat healthy, exercise regularly dont smoke or drink, and DIE ANYWAYS.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You said "everyone has some kind of addiction of some kind" but what you failed to say is that every addiction is different. Everyone's tolerance is different. I was a smoker for two years and have not smoked in two months. I can say I cannot stand the smell. Being treated like an outsider? No not really. It is just respecting those that don't smoke. Alcohol is no different. The things it does to your body is horrid yet people still struggle. Until you walk in someone's shoes you can't make a judgement or simple assumption.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:26 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I am a smoker, and a recovering Alcoholic/ Drug Addict. I have not drank in almost 1 year, and i have not used drugs in over 8 years. I will probably never quit smoking, because i am so addicted to it. I have been smoking for over 20 years ( i know so long for someone so young) but it is what i have, that Dr. Pepper and coffee. I will probably never give up any of them. I enjoy smoking,and i even go out side at home because of my children and my husband who quit in October.
    sianniona

Answer by sianniona at 7:45 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thats why it is called an addiction hun. I have been trying to quit 2 years no luck yet.Sure it stinks we do not really care though when that craving hits.You may be able to quit in a day or 2 but I think its unrealistic to expect all addicts to do so .
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• For some people, it has an extremely strong grip on them, and even though they may want to, nothing they try will help them quit.

My father is unfortunately one of those people. He is developing bladder cancer because of his smoking. He told my mom he would really try to quit this time, but he's still smoking. I honestly don't think my father will live much longer. My only wish is that he gets to see all 5 of his grandkids together again before he does pass off this earth.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• some people have harder times handling quiting then others
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 1:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• thanks for the info... i may never quit...
    i don't see how the fat keep eating, the lazy keep sleeping, the jobless do nothing, the poor get poorer...
    its the way of life...
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I felt the same way when I started smoking, it was awful, but I wanted to be "grown up". I smoked for 40 years, and quit 2 1/2 years ago. It's hard to explain addiction to someone who is not addicted.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:39 AM on Apr. 15, 2011