Outside...

Does anyone go OUTSIDE anymore? As a kid, I don't remember ever being inside while it was still daylight out. Kids these days are happy to stay inside playing video games than running around playing tag. Are your kids happier inside or out?

Droyal14u

Asked by Droyal14u at 5:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• He plays outside quite a bit. He wants me to set up the pool outside, but it's still a little too chilly. I can always tell how warm it is outside by how dirty he is when he comes in haha. I don't let him play video games until after dinner, and it's the kinect so he is standing and moving, not sitting on the couch.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Mine love to be outside. We've also got a neighborhood full of kids and they are out in the 'hood all the time, regardless of weather.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My daughter would be outside non-stop if I let her. That's not always reasonable, however.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I only let my kids be inside after it was dark. MY parents did the same to us. If the sun was up we were outside. I also limited video game time to one hour a day, IF their homework was done and chores were done. Our neighbors had 6 fat kid's. They were never outside, and always inside playing video games or watching the TV. It seems to be a real problem these days. Kid's need more exercise.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My kids do not like to go out unless the weather is really nice. I guess they're a little spoiled (like many of us) by indoor heating and cooling. They do go outside and play however...I absolutely will not let them sit around indoors all the time. Luckily in the neighborhood we live in, there are lots of other families with kids their age to play with, so they don't really mind getting out there to hook up with their neighborhood pals. They ride bikes, jump rope, occasionally roller skate, hike in the woods behind the subdivision, and jump on the enclosed trampoline.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Mine love being outside. I have a hard time getting them to come in and stay in. They do have all the same video games, computers and hand helds that are popular but I have always emphasized sports, exercise and playing outdoors so it is not a problem here.

Answer by gemgem at 7:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my kids would rather be outside with their swing set, the neighborhood dog, mud pie maker and dirt.. they are 2 and 5
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Mine don't go out as much as they should. If its' too cold, too icy, too hot, too humid, too sunny, too many bugs, too overcast, too early, too late,no body to play with etc they chose to stay in.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My daughter would love to be outside. She gets that from her daddy. My boys for the most part would be happier outside too. I have a nephew who would be happier to be inside playing his game system. I just thing it depend on the child. My daughter gets mad and crys when we come in for the night.
    TeresaM35

Answer by TeresaM35 at 8:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The only one I have to force outside in my oldest (almost 11). The other three kids (9, 8 and 5) spend all their free time outside as long as it isn't freezing or pouring down rain. On nice days I rarely even see them. They stop home to grab a bite to eat (if they haven't mooched something from a friend...which I've told them is rude) or use the bathroom. Our neighborhood is filled with kids and they are ALWAYS outside even when it's raining. It's the Pacific Northwest so it's always raining. If they waited for it to stop they'd never go out. Even when it's not raining everything is wet and muddy so they always come home covered in mud.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2011