What is the difference between Acrylic and fiberglass full set Nails?

I wanna get my nails done for Easter and for it to last for the weekend after that (My graduation) I had acrylic nails before I just wanna know which is better and last longer?
Thank you

Any details would be great!

also what are silk wraps and gel full sets?

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 6:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I get Solar Nails they last alot longer and look alot prettier. The gel is becoming obsolete due to the solar nails, do not go back to plain acrylic they lift and are very funky. Ask the nail tech and she will probably lean you towards Solar nails.
    cnm5381no2

Answer by cnm5381no2 at 6:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• fiberglass is basically a nail wrap- used for weak nails- same as silk wraps (I think)
    acrylic is strong and lasts well-if done right
    if acrylic is used on tips- generally those are meant to hold up for events, not long term- they are not as strong
    gel- I don't know a lot about- I know that they have to be filed off-not soaked off like acrylic (if I remember right from school)
    I have never had gel and only seen it done once.
    I would talk to your nail tech about what you want- a good one will know what to do ;)
    * do NOT get your nails done at an Asian place though ( you do not want any MMA used on your nails-it's illegal and bad bad bad)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• fiberglass/silk wraps, as charlotsomtimes said.
    gel is not as hard as acrylic, if the acrylic is done correctly.
    gel can be used over tips or your natural nail to strenghten the natural nail.
    solar is used on natural nails, not tips.
    acrylic can be used with tips, if the natural nail isn't long enough, or can be used with a 'form' to shape and completely make the nail (not a lot of manicurists do this type anymore, as tips are easier, faster, more cost-efficient).
    if you have nice natural nails, with a little bit of length, i'd go with the solar, as it does look nice, will last as long as any artificial tip (they all grow out the same, per your own growth rate). they shine more, unpolished, and will not fade or turn yellow in the tanning beds.
    if you have nice nails, even short, i'd go with the least amount of 'damage' to them, if you aren't planning on using the artificial substance longterm.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:26 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks my nails are pretty long now and I would prefer to keep them so I think I will go with solar!
    momavanessa

Comment by momavanessa (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2011