Military pay question, can anyone help?

My husband left for basic training on November 10th. He was in pre-ship until November 13th and in reception until November 16. So he started basic training on November 17th. His recruiter said he would get paid on December 1st...however, when I checked today to see if he did, the bank said there was nothing. His recruiter will not return my phone calls (I've been trying to reach him for almost a week about something else) and I'm not sure who else I should try calling or if maybe his recruiter lied and I won't really see his check until a later date. If anyone has any information on this, I would really appreciate it. Its getting to the point that my utilities will be shut off soon : (. Not to mention I still haven't done any Christmas shopping for my two daughters : (.

mandystenger

Asked by mandystenger at 5:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Money & Work

• I don't think he will get paid until the 15th. Its all that paperwork and stuff. The recruiter knows this too. If there is anyway for you to get in touch with a Chaplain,tell them what is going on and they will help you.He will get paid as of the 10th, tho. I don't want to be bearer of bad news, but,(I hate buts) he may not get paid until the 1st of January, or actually December 31st. You notice I say may not. .Depends on a lot of things. But, call someone,ok
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• if its anything like the federal pay system my husband is one, they usually start you out on the first day of the pay period. then 2 week pay period, and then its 9-10 more days still the paycheck comes. it was 3 1/2 weeks after he started before he got paid
    and payday is tomorrow, Tuesday, not Monday. maybe you will get it tomorrow.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 6:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• They get paid on the first and the fifteenth of every month but both of you won't see that money until he is out of basic training. At least it is that way for the marines. When my husband went to boot camp he couldn't even touch his money because too many people have decided to quit and take the money. Your recruiter should have mentioned that unless they don't do that in other branches.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for everyone who answered : )...Anon...I'm not sure why you weren't able to touch that money...because I do know for a fact that he will be paid and I will be able to spend the money on whatever we need...maybe its just the Marines...I don't know. I'm hoping I do get the money tomorrow teri...but I'm really doubting it...I believe the military only pays on the 1st & 15th of any month, but I appreciate your advice and thoughtfullness. Kat122...thanks so much for your help : ).
    mandystenger

Answer by mandystenger at 1:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Go down to the recruiter's office. They have a higher up there ( like a manager) complain about him not returning your calls and commiting to a date. Explain that it is important you figure this out because of bills. You then may be able to get a paid day loan or finance may be able to work with you. Don't let the jerk recruiter's push you around....remember there is always someone higher then them and they don't want to dela with bad reporting.
    Fallon_Long

Answer by Fallon_Long at 2:02 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Contact DFAS in Cleveland, Ohio - I believe they are the main hub for Navy pay. The main phone number is 1-888-332-7411, Military Pay - Option 2. My DH works there and they have customer service reps who can give you answers, or, at the very least, put you in the right direction. My DH works with retired Navy, but I believe you can contact someone who works with any branch of service for active duty. I really don't think the recruiter will help you, now. He got what he wanted, another notch in his belt with a recruit, and, therefore, his job is done. Recruiters are only there for one thing - to enroll as many men/women as they can each month. My DH is retired from the USAF and we've had our share of experiences with dealing with the military - not always easy. But, like I said, try DFAS and see if they can help or direct you. GOOD LUCK!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 7:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• He will get paid, most likely he will not get paid until the 15th. Also, he may have been given an "eagle cash card" with a certain amount of his initial pay on it. This is used to purchase the items needed for basic training (like running shoes, etc) and I believe the amount on the cash card is somewhere around 300.00. If this is the case, then his first pay will be less to compensate for that. The recruiter will not be able to give you any information. This is a finance issue. Pay delays are common, especially when you are entering service. This is because there are SO many people entering service at that installation. If you do not get paid on the 15th then your husband will have to check with finance. Unfortionatly, unless you have a power of attorney they will most likely not speak to you about the matter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• wait until the 15th. When you can talk to your husband next talk to him about it. He will be able to find out what is going on. When my husband was in bootcamp which was 7yrs ago he got paid the 2nd paycheck. Which would of been the 15th pay. I am sure it will come. See if you can borrow money from someone. Yes you will get it soon and you will be able to spend it. Save it up for your move.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 9:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Go into the recruiters office and tell someone that you need information about your husbands pay and if they dont know tell them the person who recruited yours husband wont return your calls and you need an answer they should give you a site at least. I was always calling my husbands recruiter when my husband left i called him about twice a week for answers to questions he helped me as much as he could and almost took me to get my military id if i was unable to find a ride( i found a ride) either way he helped a lot and its not his job to help but they should and they do have information that will help.
    youngarmywife

Answer by youngarmywife at 11:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• YAY!! I found out today he will get paid on the 15th, but the money will actually be in the bank on the 10th!! YAY!! Thanks so much for everyone's advice, God bless you all!!!!!!! : )
    mandystenger

Answer by mandystenger at 4:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2008