Should I just get rid of the cat for now.

My son is almost 4 and I cant get him to be nice to the kitten. Nothing we have done, including time outs, corner, lost all his toys, no movies, no playing out side, grounded to room, none of it seems to work. I have decided to just get rid of the cat for now and maybe try a pet again when he gets a little older. I am not sure if it is the right approach but for my sanity and his and the cats safety i think it is best. What do y'all think?

sianniona

Asked by sianniona at 7:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I JUST had to get rid of our cat for a very similiar reason! Don't feel bad Mom, things happen for a reason and he just isn't ready yet.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Its hard when they are that little especially with cats because they are less patient than dogs. I chose to give my cat that I adored to a family that could love and treat him a bit better considering my youngest refused. It just wasn't the time to have a cat. The choice is ultimately yours of course
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• we got a kitten when my oldest was 3. oddly enough my younger daughters who were around 6 months and 18 months didn't bother him, but my oldest was constantly up his butt! it was extremely irritating at first but i finally told her if she can't be nice to him we will give him to another home. a year has passed and she still loves him and wants to cuddle with him as much as she can, but she has backed off a lot. i think when they are little kittens kids just can't get enough of their cuteness, and of course don't fully grasp that they are living creatures, not toys LOL. anyway i think its a phase that passes when the kitten gets bigger, atleast that's how it worked in our case.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I vote for sanity on all levels. And to protect the kitten and your son. BTW - Thanks for sharing this. I am having issues with my toddlers and pets. Ours have plenty of age and space to hide, like your others. Don't feel bad, know that you are giving that sweet kitty a chance at peace and quiet along with yourself.

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I am glad that i am not the only one who has to deal with this. My older cat runs and hides from him, so she is safe, but the kitten is dumb enough to keep coming back for more. she has scratched him up a bit and he still goes after her. i thought that maybe after getting scratched a few times he would learn, but no luck. The dog stays hidden all the time because he is 13yo and just wants to be left alone, so there is no problem with him either. I am going to be sad to see the kitten go because i just love her, but i dont want her or my son to get hurt.
    sianniona

Comment by sianniona (original poster) at 7:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Can you keep her in a room away from him while he is awake? My daughter is 6 and finally learning to be nice to our cats.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• unfortunately there is not a room that i can keep her in while he is up, because he goes in every room in the house. it has been a struggle for the past month to get him to be nice to her and just leave her be for a while, but it has all been to no avail. i just cant keep them apart. and with the new baby coming soon i just need less stress and hassle.
    sianniona

Comment by sianniona (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• We have the same problem with our 3 year old. We have the cat in the basement when she is awake because she will not leave the cat alone. She likes giving the cat bear hugs and our cat doesn't like them at all. She has been scratched twice right under her eye and has been scratched in her hand because she just doesn't leave the cat alone. If we let the cat up and our daughter is up then the cat just runs back down the basement steps to get away. We just keep her down there most of the time. We feel terrible about it but we don't want to give her away.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• our son is three and we just got a kitten when we moved into our new house. he's nice to him one minute and not nice the next. for us i think it's jealousy. all of the sudden not all of our attention is on John, but on the cat.
    i would say keep the cat, but keep them separated if possible...
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• wow, in this case it will take time for him to get use to the cat. this happens to almost any child it comes with age they all say
    Chunky_Dynamic

Answer by Chunky_Dynamic at 12:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2011