Do you make your own jewerly?

I tried it out but it was not for me. I have seen some woman make their own and they are beautiful but I have this friend who makes hers and she charges an outrageous price for them in my opinion. Do you charge a lot for yours?

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 7:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• i dont, but my old neighbor did. she made some really nice, and some that i personally didn't like. she always took all her stuff to the local flea market.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• nope, i charge what it cost to make.. it's a hobby to pass the time
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I saw some at a local flea market and they were really pretty and nicely priced in my opinion. I guess once you know how to make them and see the true cost you wonder how people can charge so dang much lol
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I love to make it for me and my family. I haven't got up the nerve yet to try and sell it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I guess it depends on what materials are being used and how intricate it is. How much time was put in is the main reason why people charge what they do. I think if you are private and not a company your stuff should be more. A company that can make one item it in bulk multiple times can afford to charge a cheaper price. You also have to take into consideration your packaging as well. And you want to make money off your product not lose money. So charging 10 or less for an item in the long run it isn't worth it, it you can charge 25 or more. Sometimes you have to run a business with no guilt involved. If you feel bad for charging a certain price you shouldn't be in business. Running a business is about making money, making money is charging a certain amount. Don't sell yourself short, because one day you will see the same item being sold for more then you charged. You have to remember supplies and packaging, promoting your name
    SnapIt

Answer by SnapIt at 8:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I macramé my own bracelets and necklaces. I love macramé-ing. lol. I haven't sold any, I just do them as gifts for my nieces. I may do a bunch one day and sell them at the fair in town or something, but honestly I wouldn't charge more than a dollar depending on what it is. It's something I love to do, and my family and friends help me out with it by buying my hemp, beads, and clasps for me if I need them.
    andiecheyenne

Answer by andiecheyenne at 5:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Snaplt...; this is very true, thank you mama ! my SO and I have been making ans selling jewelry and dreamcatchers for about 2 years, and yeah we have to put a price on it that we assume is fair. we have to make money and this is our only way to finance our travel. we make unique pieces of jewelry, you will never see ANYONE with the same necklace or dreamcatcher.....
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 8:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2011