Cinnamon rolls

Do you buy store bought or make your own?

If you have a recipe to share Is appreciate it!

KamiB79

Asked by KamiB79 at 8:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I have done the store brand before but it is fun if you have the time to make your own : )
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The best cinnamon rolls I ever made were the ones I made with my sour dough bread, to which I was enslaved for many years. I finally threw out the starter and haven't had cinnamon rolls since. I think you could use any good bread dough recipe, though. The secret to good cinnamon rolls is in having a hearty filling and lots of glaze on top. I used brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and sometimes either raisins or pecans in my filling; confectioners' sugar and milk for the glaze with just a hint of vanilla flavoring.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I buy them at the store. Every time I have ever attempted to make cinnamon rolls, they never work! I can make bread and pie crust and muffins and cakes from scratch but for some reason I can't make those! Drives me nuts.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:14 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My husband makes them for us every Christmas day. I love them, but he won't share his recipe. It changes a little every time too.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:18 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• store bought. I have only made them at home once and wow, too much work haha
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I buy cases of frozen cinnamon roll dough - thaw, rise, bake. But they are very easy to jazz up in different ways, and I frequently do something to them, I rarely bake them as they are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I haven't made them in forever.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I buy store bought b/c I made them once homemade and it was a lot of work & they weren't fantastic
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Ann Sather's Cinnamon Rolls:

1 package active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    1/4 cup Water -- (105 degree F to 115 degree F)
    3/4 cup Milk -- (105 degree F to 115 degree F)
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup butter -- melted
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    3 cups all-purpose flour -- (3 to 3 1/2)
    1/4 cup butter -- melted
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    ******powdered Sugar Glaze*******
    2 Cups Powdered Sugar -- sifted
    3 Tablespoons Milk
    1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla

In a large mixing bowl, stir yeast and the 1 teaspoon sugar into the water. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften yeast. Stir in milk, the 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, and salt. Add 1 cup of the flour. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, gradually stir in 1-1/2 cups of the flour, beating until smooth.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Stir in as much remaining flour as you can.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that's smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning dough once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm
    place until doubled (about 1 hour).

Punch dough down. Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll half of dough to a 15x10-inch rectangle. Spread half of 1/4 cup melted butter over the top of the dough. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle half of the mixture over top of dough. Beginning at a long side of the rectangle, roll up tightly; seal seams. Cut dough into nine 1-1/2-inch-thick slices. Repeat with remaining dough, butter and sugar mixture.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011