What are the stipulations on ADHD/ADD medication and the military? When does my son have to come off of it if he decides to join the military?

My husband is prior Navy and totally supports any of our four sons to join. It's a way when you may think there's NO WAY. Our oldest will be 16 in October and will be entering his junior year in high school in the fall. He's in Acting in HS, but doesn't have a sure bet to enter college in 2013, like he wants to. His Dad, of course, recommends the military and all of the benefits that com along with it. Our oldest was in JROTC during his freshman year, but hated it. Please inform me on the need to come off of the celexa and adderallbefore even thinking about joining the military. I need to now a way forward, ... JUST IN CASE.... tHANKS.

anaahs

Asked by anaahs at 8:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Maybe college just isn't in the stars for him. Perhaps a trade school or certificate course is a better choice. Something that sparks his interest. If he has no interest in being military then you are setting him up for failure by forcing the issue. Not everyone is cut out for military life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I found this @ about.com.  And this at ADHDHelp.org  both have reasonable answers.  Maybe call a recruiter and see what they suggest.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It is best if you take a daily medication to discontinue use for a year before you apply to join the army. If you do not require medication and can pass all the requirements elsewhere you can join the US army. However, those who currently take medication are not accepted. The US Army is about the only branch that WILL take him.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• this is a good question..ive wondered the same thing for my son who is on Adderall and wants to go into the military after highschool.I will keep checking back for answers!Glad you asked :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i do not know
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 10:03 AM on May. 25, 2011