Would you rather say you are thankful than blessed?

I was thinking of a situation my friend is going through and I considered my own lot and I don't like to say or think that I am blessed when that other person is not or is going through a hard time. To me it is a selfish way of looking at things (not saying it is meant to be that way at all). I, in my mind have always been thankful that my children are healthy and so forth but would never say something that would cause another person pain.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 8:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I understand what you're saying, but at the same time when we are blessed we should spread that blessings onto others. For instance our neighbor, whose sons have cut her out of their lives so she she can't even see her grandchildren. Our many blessing (children) are a comfort to her. She loves it when they go over and show her things, play in her woods, swim in her pool. It helps her to not feel alone and that she really isn't a bad person. So yes I'm thankful for my blessings and try to spread them to others.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I never say I'm blessed. I say fortunate, like "I feel so fortunate that we have a home and plenty of food to eat". I've always thought that blessed sounded like you're implying that not only have you somehow garnered favor with a supreme being who has now "blessed" you, but that perhaps others who don't have the things you have have somehow been cursed, or had "blessings" withheld. I just think "fortunate" is so much less....controversial? Less open to misinterpretation?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• LOL...some of my friends recently had a big 'rant' on one of their FB pages about people saying they're 'blessed' all the time. Now, some of it was that they thought it was obnoxious and also implying that others are not so 'blessed', but some of it was because the same people who are always saying/posting stuff like that often seem to brag or exaggerate how awesome their life is in general. Most of my friends seem to like when people present themselves more realistically (I feel the same way but usually ignore the bragging or exaggerated posts more). Most people have good days and bad, and while no one really wants to hear someone complain constantly, you can tell when people are being honest about their experiences and when they're exaggerating or making it sound better than it probably really is. Anyway, I would be more likely to say 'I'm grateful' for something good that happened or maybe 'thankful'.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I don't particularly like the word "blessed". I would rather use thankful or grateful.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think saying blessed implies one's good fortune was bestowed upon them as a reward of some kind. Whereas saying I am grateful or fortunate means where I am and what I have is because of our own hard work and actions. And in no way implies another person isn't as fortuante.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i use both, but probably 'thankful' more often. if i were to verbalize how thankful i am to have health, wealth, love,etc., it wouldn't be to rub my good fortune in others' faces. its more of a personal testimony that i am grateful for what i have, realizing i could have NOT..things could always turn down or negative in anyone's life. so be thankful or be blessed, be whatever...just be glad you have 'it' as well as you do, because there's always someone who doesn't have 'it' so good.
    all it takes is stepping outside of your own little space and observing those around you to see there are blessings/things to be thankful for, that we usually take for granted. KWIM?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I say either one. More often I say thankful
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thank you and no you don't think too much. It's a very good question.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I use both and never think anything of it. I don't really see saying blessed as bragging. I mean we are all blessed in some manner of our lives. Even if there are bad things in our lives at a given time, there are still good things (blessings) going on at the same time....but that is just my view =)
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks, OP.
    After reading Amaranth361's post, I do want to add that I do not take offense to other people saying it, as long as they aren't obviously trying to imply that they're oh-so-special. I'm in the south, and hear it said multiple times per day, so I'd walk around pretty angry all the time if I got prickly every time I heard it, lol.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:26 AM on Apr. 14, 2011