For Interracial Moms

i am from the caribbean(dark skin) and my man is jewish and well here is the thing we have a daughter and well she came out very light skin  just like here daddy  living in manhattan alot of american women or white even other random people that are not white  have asked me how much i charge. They fucken think im the nanny since my daughter has none of my features this is making me really upset and its affecting my relationship with my man he thinks its funny& im getting sick of the damn staring  i just want to know if any moms out there been in this situation and if so how did u deal and did your kids ever get any color or features of you my daughter is 6 months by the way

thanks

cnoble927

Asked by cnoble927 at 8:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, you could look at it from this perspective: They see you with your daughter and think there is a loving relationship they would like their child to get when they can't be there. They see you as a person who looks responsible and caring. The are all compliments! I could see how it would be frustrating after a while but she is still small. She may grown to have more and more of your features! My DS (though we are both white) looked identical to my DH until he was a year old. I could have denied this child. It was a little sad for me nut he got older and his face shape changed as did his smile and now he looks like an excellent combination of both of us. TRY to let it roll off you back. Don't let other people's ignorance ruin something you have with your family that is good. Best of luck. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• thanks But Mommie thats a good way to think about it
    cnoble927

Comment by cnoble927 (original poster) at 8:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I'm in the same boat, except I'm black and my husband is Jewish (I guess you mean white and European looking because Jewish is a religion, not an ethnicity). Anyways, I get the same stares and questions about whether I babysit. But like other rude and misinformed comments someone may make, I let it roll off me. Don't let it affect your marriage. Who cares what people ask and what they think? They are not important in your world.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2011