J Crew ad....Little boy wearing pink nail polish. What do you think?

Will this little boy be messed up? What do you think? I can't help but agree that if it was an ad with a little girl playing in the mud with a truck no one would have objected. I had a dd first ds 2 yrs later and I remember ds wanted his toes painted when I was painting dd's toes. He's 10 now. plays sports, thinks girls are "hot", lol he's all boy.

lovinlifewith5

Asked by lovinlifewith5 at 8:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It's been a double standard for generations. It's acceptable for a girl to be a "tomboy" and play with "boy" toys and dress boyish but it's not okay for a boy to play with dolls or wear anything pink or girly. Seems to point to an instilled idea that boys are better than girls...as in it's okay to dress land act like a boy whether you are a boy or a girl but it's only okay to act like a girl if you are a girl.
    My oldest is a girl and she got her first toy car when she was a baby and had quite a collection by the time she was 2 and kind of outgrew them. We then handed them down to our son. Our son got his first doll at 1 month old and still sleeps with him at 9 1/2.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think they are making a mountain out if a mole hill!!! No big deal!

Answer by older at 8:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I personally think it's a little odd to have a boy wearing nail polish at all, especially pink, but you're right about the double standard. All little boys go through this stage where they want to try on mommy's shoes or get their nails painted like their sister, but it's about curiosity and learning what's acceptable in their world. My son played with dolls and wore my shoes until he turned 4 and decided that was "girl stuff" and now he's all about the sports and transformers lol. As for the ad...not something I would have done, but I don't think he'll be messed up for it. He'll probably just look back and think "why did I let them do that to me!" lol.
    SpiffySnaps

Answer by SpiffySnaps at 8:38 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think its an ad and the kid is a model. I dont see ads as anything to be taken seriously. If I did then I would think all men should look like Calvin Klein models.

Answer by gemgem at 8:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I wouldn't paint my son's toenails pink. However, I don't see why people are making a big deal out of it. It's not like he's being abused or something.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It's his toes not his finger nails, his tennis shoes will cover them up and lets face it on kids nail polish last like 2 days max. If the kid likes it now (he is still very young) then who cares? I can bet you he will grow out of it in a couple of years if not less. I mean shoot my DS played with dolls until he was almost 4!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• oh, I haven't seen the ad, but from other comments I've gathered that the polish wasn't showing. In that case, I don't think it matters AT ALL.
    SpiffySnaps

Answer by SpiffySnaps at 8:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Our society has clearly defined gender roles. By upholding these roles and instilling them in our children we create and teach them to be biased. By not instilling these roles we set our children up to be ridiculed and socially ostracized. It's tough and life isn't fair. I think it's natural to question these roles at every age and in the end all you can do is encourage your children to think for themselves. If this means painting your boys fingernails. I would.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 10:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think people read way to much into stuff. I think the boy will be fine I survived being force into prostitution at 7 years old I am sure he will survive wearing pink toe nail polish. There are children in the world right now who are facing abuse, neglect, rape, molestation, hunger, thirst and are afraid daily they could be killed. I think it is better to talk about them and help them than to worry about this little boy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Who cares? That kid was having fun with his mom.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2011