Killer heartburn - any helpful advice?

Hello ladies,

I am almost 37 weeks pregnant with my second child and have some awful heartburn. With my first son I started getting bad heartburn around 7-8 months and as soon as he was born it went away. Tums were a lifesaver.
With this pregnancy I started getting heartburn around 4 months and Tums have been working until about two weeks ago. Now nothing seems to help except sometimes eating a cold popsicle.
Night time is the worst. I will often wake up with my whole throat and mouth burning, and often sitting up won't help either. Being propped up on pillows doesn't help much either. The doctor says heartburn and pregnancy are normal, she has no suggestions.
I have tried going to bed full, going to bed not full, drinking liquid before bed, no liquid before bed... all sorts of combinations.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what has helped them deal with heartburn? It is such a miserable thing and I can't seem to come up with anything else to try...

enohp04

Asked by enohp04 at 8:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Speak to the doctor about taking Zantac. For severe heartburn, milk can make it worse, because the acid in your stomach can curdle the milk, causing nausea. Milk CAN help for mild cases though. If your doctor can't recommend anything, speak to a gastroenterologist. My OB did not know how to treat my reflux during pregnancy, and told me I should go see my GI doc, who was knowledgeable in treating it throughout my pregnancy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i have the same problem only i had acid reflux disease before i got pregnant with this one, my ob told me to take zantaz max strength and i think it works great
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• maybe milk or i would suck on a piece of peppermint candy! GL to you momma
    Mommy31107

Answer by Mommy31107 at 8:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I drank bottles and bottles of Mylanta, it was recommended by my doctor and it worked like a charm.

Answer by older at 8:44 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Milk can help in some cases. I took several different meds when I was pregnant with my 4th and 5th because my heartburn was so bad it was making me throw up, but zantac was the mildest - ask your dr.

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You can take pepcid. That is what my doctor told me. He said I could even take one in the morning and one at night. I only take them as needed. They take about 30mins to kick in, but do a pretty good job. I'm to the point where everything gives me heartburn. It sucks.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thank you everyone!!

I talked to my doctor who suggested Prilosec or Zantac. I chose Prilosec and hopefully I get some relief soon. All of your answers were helpful, thank you thank you!
    enohp04

Comment by enohp04 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2011