I can't stand my son, what do I do?

He is a split image of my ex, he acts so much like him. I cant stand it. he is 22. When he is around. He act as if he is the parent at times. I forbid him to wear a hat around me. it is that bad. crazy huh? bad breakup, oh he does try to get me to talk to his father, I refuse. For he himself recently forgave his father and started speaking with him, I can't.

AMMA554

Asked by AMMA554 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Girl you have to forgive your ex before you completely destroy your relationship with your son. My 22 year old is a mirror image of my ex husband, in looks, the way he walks, the way he talks, his mannerisms, his way of thinking, the way he communicates with people, you name it..... But the whole thing about forbidding him to wear a hat around you is absolutely insane and you really need to stop stuff like that. Just because you regret knowing your ex does not mean you can allow yourself to regret who your child became. I choose to celebrate who my son is, I choose to be here for him and I choose to be his mom regardless of how or who he acts like or reminds me of. He's a young man finding his way in the world, learning who he is and where he wants his life to go. It's STILL our job to love and guide them. Get a grip Momma, you are hurting your son - stop now or regret it sooner AND later.GL
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 9:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My oldest looks and acts like his father but I dont hate him and can stand him. It sounds like you have some resentment issues with your son because he is talking to his father.

Answer by gemgem at 8:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Pretty unfair of you not to like your son because he is the spitting image of your ex, I suggest you get some counseling before you totally alienate him.

Answer by older at 8:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You should seek family counceling! asap
    Ganell87

Answer by Ganell87 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My oldest looks like his bio-dad sometimes but I love my son so much that it doesn't affect me.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My dh's mother said she couldn't look at him because he looked too much like his father, her ex. It has really scarred him. I suggest like the pp's get some counseling before it is too late.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• bad me.. good @ older believe it or not he tells me that to. lot happened he is around me most of the time and I am taking it out on him. mother. sister, and close friend all died in the same year. father the following year. He, and my two older bros. are it for family, and they have their own who i dont talk to to often.
    AMMA554

Comment by AMMA554 (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• [SNIFFLE] ALL 7 "BEST ANSWER"
    AMMA554

Comment by AMMA554 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You cannot look at your son as being like your ex. You're very selfish and childish to feel that way.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2011