Be honest: How old was your child when they got the hang of potty training?

My son will be 3 yrs old tomorrow, he has been "potty learning" for 3 weeks... and some days he just doesn't seem to care about it.

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 5:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son was 16 days shy of his 4th birthday. As a matter of fact, September 1st...............Labor day was his last day in pull ups and only one accident since.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• We switched him to big boy undies about a week before his 3rd birthday, and after the first 2 days, he didn't have anymore accidents. Every child is different though. There were kids in his class that potty trained much earlier and much later than my son.
    lalabear88

Answer by lalabear88 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• 2.5 all kids are different. weve never even had an accident.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• For those who had "no accidents"... was it because you took them to the potty every 15 mins?
    ( I'm not being catty, I really am curious)
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 6:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My daughter was 26 months and my son was 32 months old, when they totally got it. One day the light bulb came on and I just knew this was it, they get it!!! I also devoted all my at home time to cotton underwear only, so I think that once I started they moved to getting it pretty quickly.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• About accidents, I only took them to the bathroom every 15 minutes for the first week. There were still little accidents every once in a while because they would be so busy playing and they would wait until the last minute to tell me they had to go, but even that stage didn't go on for more than a few weeks. Usually I could tell when they had to go by the way they were holding their legs together or if they were bouncing around.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• my children potty train themselves. Goes a lot faster, less fighting, less accidents. My oldest son potty trained at 3 1/2 yrs and my younger son shocked me by potty training at 21mo. I don't push it
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My son was fully potty trained at at 3.5 He finally got it when we got fed up and quit using pull ups and switched to just regular under wear. I twas messier but we were done in about a month and we had been working on it since he was about 20 months old. Well, at 2.5 he was fully potty trained only if he was naked. I have no idea why but if we let him run around the house naked he would go potty every time. If you put a pull up on him he would just use that. He's nuts.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Both my boys were done by 3.5. But they would have accidents sporadically...don't let it stress ya! Every child is different, good luck!

Smokie4Pooker

Answer by Smokie4Pooker at 7:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My 7 year old was trained in a week at 2 1/2 years old. My younger son decided to teach himself at the age just shy of 3 and it took 2 days.
    pumpkinpie112

Answer by pumpkinpie112 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2008