Do you ever get over gender disappointment?

I just found out that I am having my second girl. Everybody wanted a boy so there has been a little disappointment. I know I will love her more than anything. But does that urge to have a boy ever go away? I will not be having any more kids after this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• i have three girls, my youngest is 15 months and i still (from time to time) daydream about what it would have been like to have a boy. but it in no way takes away from the love and happiness that each of my 3 daughters bring me. and the fact that my husband got a vasectomy after our 3rd kind of makes it easier to sit and wonder "what if" we had another and this time it was a boy. admittedly though i was never disappointed in having girls, maybe a little bummed on the ultrasound day but then i began thinking of the lovely bonds of sisterhood and stuff. the plus side is i didn't have to go out and buy much, everything was already girly!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You get over it by thanking God every day you were able to have not just one, but two healthy babies. There are some people out there who would die for the chance.

Answer by gemgem at 8:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I was a bit bummed that I had two girls at first but when I started getting everything ready for her and walked through the boys clothing I was thankful for my little pink blessing.. boys just don't have as cute clothes, toys, bedding, shoes and all the fun stuff you get to do.. I'm a sucker for pink and don't mind that my Evan turned out to be an Abigail after she was born
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yes u will, it will take time.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I dunno, I always wanted 3 boys, I still miss the other 2 boys(lol) and had two girls instead with a first born son.
    I love my girls to death, but I still wonder if we wouldn't be complete without another boy in the house. My husband looks at our dining table of 6 chairs quite often and says " someone is missing". I think my two other boys will show up as Son in Laws.
    My GF had 3 boys and also wanted to have at least one girl, her boys are in their 30's and she still wants a girl.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Probably the second you give birth. I am on my third girl. We were a little disappointed at the ultrasound, but everyone is over it now that the baby has a name, we could shop for her, etc. Once she gets here, I have no doubt that there will be no disappointment.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• well im sure everyone is different but i dont believe it goes away i have the exact other problem i have 4 boys and no girls and have tried for a girl ever since my 2nd child and no it hasnt gone away i want the mother daughter part of life so bad im gonna try again just to have a girl
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I guess you need to be thankful for what you have! I am sure when you see her little face and hold her you will know you got just what you were supposed ot have! Plus, think of all the money you will save by having 2 girls,, that is until they are teenagers,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i am thankful for the ones i have i just want more and by the way my oldest is 15 and my youngest is 3 and yes i still want a girl but like i said everyone feels different and thats ok
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I'm sure everyone goes through this. Yes you will get over it after a while. When the test with my second was positive, I had a feeling the baby was another boy so I tried not to be dissapointed. I feel like my family won't be complete until I have a girl but I only want three children so if my next is a boy I will get over it.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011