Will my girls be close?

My baby is due Sept and my oldest will be 6 in Dec. Will the age difference affect their relationship?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nope it shouldnt. My girls are 15 yrs apart and close.

Answer by gemgem at 8:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• That depends on you and them :) Let the oldest help you with the baby and feel involved so that he/she knows you still love him/her, too and won't resent the baby because of all the time you're spending with him/her. Raise them to be close, considerate and protective of one another and more than likely they will be :) Congrats on the baby, also!
    SpiffySnaps

Answer by SpiffySnaps at 8:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I come from a family of 10 children, and I will say that I am much closer to my siblings that are within a year or two of either direction from me. I love all my brothers and sisters, I would say we are a pretty close family all around, but I definitely have a stronger connection with those closest to my age.

That said, my situation could have just been the volume of kids and the fact that I wasn't "forced" to play with my older siblings because we all had "buddies" our own age in the home. I am sure they will get along just fine and be close...especially as adults.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My husband is the youngest of 6 kids. He is actually closest to his 3 oldest siblings than the 2 that are closest in age. I think it is because the oldest ones helped care for him and it made the bond stronger. The 2 closer in age were annoyed to have to share. All in all, it's how much you encourage the relationship between the kids.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• not until the little one thinks she can fit into her older sisters clothes when she 3
    goobersmom713

Answer by goobersmom713 at 4:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2011