Wait, juice is making my child obese?

http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=06-P13-00013&segmentID=3

This artical from 2006 kinda made me sit there and scratch my head..  I know soda is bad for you but now juice?

How much truth do you think there is and do you think this has been porven incorrect in the last 5 years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• with juice you have to be careful and read the nutrition label. first of all you want to buy 100% juice, not stuff like hawaiian punch or koolaid that only has 10% juice in it. and even then, there is a lot of sugar in juice. however, sugar is OKAY in moderation. my girls get one cup of juice per day, and its usually orange juice in the morning, or apple juice with a snack. for my 1 year old i water hers down half and half because 1 year olds do not need all that sugar. my oldest though will choose water over juice anyday.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• There's a lot of truth to it. Juice is high in sugar and calories and low in fibre. It's not much better than pop.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 8:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If your kid's are drinking a gallon of it a day, Yea it's making them Fat. Its empty calories. Same with Soda and to much chocolate milk. Personally I think it's all the processed foods people give their kid's thats making them fat. That and the lack of exercise as well.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Juice isn't AS bad if you can find it without the high fructose corn syrup, but yes, it has a lot of the sugars in it that you find in sodas and other soft drinks. A piece of fresh fruit is much better. Water is the best drink for children, and you can liven that up by squeezing fruit into it (lemons, limes, oranges) or dropping berries in there.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It's the sugars and carbs. Even natural fruits will do this to your child and you if eaten excessivvly.. STUPID COMPUTER! on top of the calories, there are much better ways to get them than in a drink. :D
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think it is ok in moderation.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• We stick to water and milk in our house due to many of the reasons presented her by other moms. Juice is truly a once in a while thing around our home.
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 9:23 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my kids get 2-3 cups of juice but even then in a sippy cup its always mixed with more than a half a cup of water. and i only buy the 100% juice. i think it just depends on how much excersise they get. my kids are extremely active and i dont see any excessive weight gain. as long as ther doing ok i think its fine. they might get soda once in a blue moon and its only on special occassions. they know better. my kids will even tell grandma that there juice needs water.
    adriana1024

Answer by adriana1024 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I did not read this particular article, but I have heard this before and I agree. Juice is filled with all kinds of extra sugars and preservatives now to make it taste better so kids will drink it. Large amounts can aid in children becoming obese or even having dental problems if they don't brush regularly. There are certain brands you can buy that only have natural sugars - those are a good alternative to juicy juice. :)
    SpiffySnaps

Answer by SpiffySnaps at 8:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I know most juices are high in sugar. I only give my kids Juicy Juice, milk, or water to drink. Soda if we go out to eat or order in (which is rare) and sometimes lemonade etc. but always in moderation. Nothing with caffeine.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 8:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011