What can I do.... (Cats! If you are a veterinarian please read!)

I have 2 indoor cats. One 14 yo male and a 3 yo female. Two nights ago my male cat got out in our back yard which he does from time to time when we let out dogs in and out. Well on that particular night a stray cat some how came into my yard over my 6 foot privacy fence. Long story short my male cat got his butt kicked by the stray. Once we got him inside he was really upset and scared we were trying to look him over for injuries and our female attacked him too!!! My husband overreacted and hit the female cat or attacking him (I'm saying this part because it might be relevant.) I had to take them both to the vet to make sure they were up on all their shots and to get my male cats injuries attended to. My female cat peed in her cage while at the vet which she has never done before. They gave her a bath which she HATES!! When we got home she hid from me for 4 hours, and has been hiding on and off ever since, now when she comes out of hiding she hisses and growls at my male cat when ever she sees him. So what can I do for her? Is she just scared by what happened? Does she still smell the other cat on my male cat? We are moving in 5 days and I really need her over this before we are in a car for 8 hours.

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Pets

• I'm not a veterinarian, but I am a cat lover...anyway, my thoughts are that if the cats got along fine before this incident, then you just have to wait for the dust to settle and things will go back to normal. The move might complicate matters a bit, but still--once you get settled in and the stray run-in trauma has been forgotten, the cats should be able to co-exist peacefully again.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It sounds like she sees him as under her now on the chain of things. When your husband hit her it made her fear people. This probably why she peed in her cage. You all will have to earn her trust again. As for the male cat she may never see him as an equal again. It's the law of cats everyone has a place. He was most likely king before and now he's a pesant. If that helps you understand it better.

I was a vet assistant.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks for the answers! She did not see the fight would she still know what happened and see him as "peasant"?
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Wait--how did your husband "hit" her? When I read the post, I assumed it was just a swat on the behind. Did he scare the everloving crap out of her? If so, then I agree with Liamsmom09 that there could potentially be some trust issues now.
    Ahhh, cat drama...I haz it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Anon344, maybe she attacked him because she just knew that SOMETHING funky was going on and the attack was just her knee-jerk reaction...my cats have done similar things.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:18 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yes she would know what still happened. She most likely heard it but the sent of the cat and your male cat's wounds would tell her if she hadn't.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My cats have always been mean to each other when something out of the ordinary happens. For example, when I got the kitten fixed, the older cat hissed at him and tried to "run him off". I called the vet and they said it was that the cats could smell the medication on them and/or knew the cat was acting different and didn't like the change to what was familiar to them.

As far as the peeing in the cage, I have never had that NOT happen. My cats do NOT like the vet...they get very scared, especially if there are other animals waiting with their owners when we get there. They will poop and pee in their cages, as well s "throw fur"...hiss, meow, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it is anything out of the ordinary. Just let them get back to their normal routine. The move might throw them off all over again though. They are resilient, and after a while they will be just fine.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My husband did not beat her, but he did hit her to stop her from attacking the male cat. But both cats were freaking out already I told him it was not the right thing to do. She is not hissing at us and she will let us pet her. She just wont let my male cat near her and he seems confused and sad about it. They usually get along really well and she is usually all over him!! Now he can't even be in the same room as her cuz she hisses and growls! I feel so bad for both of them and I just want to make it better. But I guess time is all that will fix this : (
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Hang in there, OP--everything will settle down, the kitties are just upset right now! Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• She smells the other cat. Try to bathe him to get the smell off.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2011