Do you feel this is discrimination? Do you think the school has the right to make such restrictions?

http://www.houston-press.com/2008-07-10/news/a-native-american-family-fights-against-hair-length-rules/1

Laura1229

Asked by Laura1229 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Absolutely!!! I live in San Antonio now but came from a very small Texas town like that. To me this is not a matter of trying to have long hair because its cool. This is a matter of respecting his heritage. I was raised in Arizona surrounded by reservations, my 2 best friends were navajo and Zuni. This young boys hair would always be kept in a neat braid and would most likely be kept nicer than other boys cause its a pride matter.
    motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 12:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I agree. That's like asking a Sikh student to remove his turban because they think it's a hat. It's ridiculous.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Under the discrimnation laws, unless it is tied to a religious or cultural belief, it isn't considered discrimination and instead it is a personal choice. The child's family doesn't make a strong argument that it is religious or culturally based.
    Growing

Answer by Growing at 4:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• i think schools have pushed it way to far. does it really interefe with education? no? then shut the fuck up and back off. public schools need to accept the public! and if girls don't have to cut their hair, boys had better not be made to!
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 6:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I agree with trespica. As long as it isn't neon orange and sticking 6 inches up in the air what is the big freaking deal. It is no longer culturally unacceptable for boys to have long hair. Like she said...if girls can have long hair then so can boys.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I think there are better things the school can be focused on. This is a waste of time and money.
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Absolutely, positively ridiculous. Who cares if it's cultural, religious, or if he just FEELS like having long hair?
    A boy having long hair doesn't interfere with the school whatsoever. It changes absolutely nothing. What a waste of time, effort, and news.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• it's GENDER discrimination. if girls can have their hair long, they have no right to restrict a boy from doing the same.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• ITS DISCRIMINATION!!!
    Jade89

Answer by Jade89 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2008