To mainstream a child in school or not?

Push a child or let them learn as they feel comfortable?I think its good for some and not for others .I am fixing to try it with my 5 year old son and wondered what you think.I have posted this question once but I didn't get a lot of feedback so I am trying again.

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Depends on the kid. Some kids respond well to pushing, others do not. My son NEEDS to be pushed to do well, but my oldest daughter will flat out refuse anything you try to push her into. I've discovered that if I just let her do it in her own time, she excels, but when I tried to push her along she just resisted. You have to judge for yourself based on the personality and attitude of your child. Encouragement always goes a long way and I'm a big believer in positive reinforcement, but if that's not helping your child move forward then I think it's okay to put a little positive pressure on them :)
    SpiffySnaps

Answer by SpiffySnaps at 9:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think challenging you child will help them out a lot later on in life. The more you push him now, the less he will struggle later,
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I say let them learn with what they are comfortable but give them encouragement to do better not really pushing.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I put my son in a mainstream school before he was diagnosed with ADHD and Autism Spectrum at 5 and it was difficult for him at first, but he is going to be 12 and does quite well. He has an aide if it is needed, but not very often.
    LLS67

Answer by LLS67 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think it depends on the child. My now 7th grader was in a special autism class for elementary school. Now he's in the middle school autism class, but goes to a mainstream class for PE and chorus - he loves it and they are classes he can keep up with and not disrupt other students. My now 5th grader was diagnosed with autism when he was 2. I put him in a mainstream kindergarten class and he's had done great in school, never had any pull out, and no longer qualifies as having autism last time we had an eval.
    I don't think a child who is going to cause disruptions in the class should be in a mainstream class, and I think there are instances where a child (ie my 7th grader) will actually do much better in a special class rather than in the mainstream. It's just highly student dependent.

Answer by missanc at 9:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2011