did your baby ever do this?

My son is 2 weeks old and when he's sleeping he acts like he's having a hard time breathing. That and he keeps acting like he's strangling. He's also having a lot of gas, which I guess is my fault because i'm breastfeeding. i was just wondering if anyone else's baby acted like they were having a hard time breathing. He goes to the doctor tomorrow, i just wanted to know if it was normal

Zacherysmommy08

Asked by Zacherysmommy08 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is it like a high pitched gasping wheezing sound?
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 6:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• No, i do not think its normal at all.

And its good that you will go to the doctor with him. Let them check on your little one. Thats the best you can do.

It can be something simple though. Maybe his nose is too dry or something like that.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• not high pitched.... but it is like he's gasping. It scares the crap out of me cause I'm afraid he'll stop breathing all together! he's been REALLY gassy lately though and normally when he acts like he can't breathe it's right before he farts a lot
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Like maybe he's straining with the gas? Babies seem to hold their breath when they're straining (they don't usually make the grunting sound that adults do). As for the gas, don't beat yourself up too much. My guy has some very gassy bouts but I haven't been able to find a link between anything I've eaten and the times it happens (my diet is pretty boring, there's not a lot of variety, so it's easy to know what does what!).

My guy sometimes makes this loud gaspy noise, it made me sooo nervous in the beginning! It's just one of those funny baby noises, though, he never seemed to actually have trouble breathing or anything. Mention it to your doc, though, since none of us can hear it!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• It's only when he's sleeping at night. So I figure I'll ask the doctor tomorrow I just wanted to know if anyone else had this happen. I feel so bad for him when he has gas... He looks so pitiful. Thanks for y'alls advice though
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My daughter made similar sounds and was very gassy too. She is just fine. But farts a lot. which is always super funny. Cause it's right at quiet time.haha
    mamamia22

Answer by mamamia22 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I don't know about the breathing part, but I'd go to a lactation consultant for the gassiness. My son got really gassy around 2 months and it turned out I was having an overactive letdown. This caused my son to ingest more air and to get more fore milk than hind milk.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 2:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2008