ADHD meds helpful or harmful?

I have been taking meds for this my whole life and I am fine, no zombie here, although when I take my meds I can actually sleep at night and feel rested the next day, and I can focus much easier and longer.I have alot of problems when I do not take my meds.I think it is a matter of finding the right dose that works for that person.I do however think that you shouldn't give it to everyone with ADHD as some can mnage okay without it and some have it worse than others .I hear so many moms saying how bad it is but some of it works great for!Matter of fact , some are not able to function w/o it.

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Health

• I agree with you. My son was just not able to manage w/out the help medication gave him. We tried many different things other then medication but they did not work for him. He is now 20. I get tired of "helpful" people coming on here & blasting anyone who the medication was a godsend for. Diet changes did NOT work for my son. But the medication did. Like you said, different things work for different people. I do not think a person should be condemned for using what works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Coming from a mom who has teachers telling me I need to have my DD tested for ADHD (doctor won't do until she is 6...next February), I believe they can be very helpful. However, I think you have to be careful in getting the right dosage...and know not to medicate if it isn't necessary. From what I understand, sometimes little things like changing diet and the way you do activities can make a huge impact.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:14 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• For me I have tried EVERYTHING!I have tried diets.excercise, therapy,yoga,lifestyle changes,allsorts of stuff and as I was saying before all people with ADHD do not magically get better because you change diet. I found absolutly no differance when I don't drink caffiene or have foods with a lil sugar in them but I guess it works for some , just not me
    Brandy928

Comment by Brandy928 (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think it depends on the child taking the medication. My 7 year old daughter takes Focalin XR in the morning and a low dose of Ritalin in the afternoon to manage her ADHD. Her main issue is focus and memory. The medication seems to help as I do notice a huge difference if she doesn't take it.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Have you tried taking good quality fish oil? You have to take it every day & usually does not show improvement until week 2 or 3.

Fish oil saved mu kids life. She has ADD, but is not hyper at all. in fact, she is VERY mellow & relaxed compared to most kids. She just had trouble focusing. She is in LaLa land all day. Her Dr. said since she was not disruptive to the class or ever caused any problems & since her grades were OK, that she would not recommend medication for her. She suggested taking fish oil supplements.

It took a while to notice a difference, but it's been 6 months now & she is ROCKING it out in school. Her attention span has increased so much! She can focus so much better & her grades are getting better.

Fish oil is really amazing stuff. It's the most efficient fat our brain uses. People who lack Omega 3's are much more likely to be ADD.It also has MANY more health benefits than just increasing brain function.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• This is a hot topic! If anyone suggests it for a kid or an adult AFTER APPROPRIATE TESTING, I say that it should be tried. The school work can be affected greatly, personality- this is the most important part and it depends on the drug, I would never want to see a child on it that turns them into a robot because that just makes it worse. I have worked in a school for troubled kids, some on meds and some not. It was not the answer for all and if the parent is not happy and cannot wait to give the drug a real try the kid will not benefit. When the drugs work well as anyone who is on them, it is a miracle how different your perception of the world and the people in it. Yes, I was diagnosed at a late age, I am on a med and it makes so much sense now and It has improved my life. The horror stories about zombies would only happen if someone is misdiagnosed. Be open and check it out. Glad I did and it explains alot.
    chillywilly10

Answer by chillywilly10 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My son takes Adderall XR twice a day for his ADHD, and it has helped him greatly. It is also about the kind of med, not just the dosage.
    LLS67

Answer by LLS67 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2011