Just because they HAVE high chairs doesn't mean you can or should take your kids? adult content

We recently went to olive garden for the first time. Once we arrived me noticed that the place was pretty fancy and pretty adult orientated. Some time after we arrived a couple brought their three young children in, needless to say, after about 5 minutes they were getting death glares from other diners.

Yes, they HAVE high chairs but that doesn't mean places like that are for children, older children maybe but younger kids I'm not sure.

Do you find places like this?

I know that unless it is a bar (and in some states this doesn't matter) your kids can come in with you but should their be places where they just say "no children under the age of ___ permitted" ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• We went to Ruth Chris Steak house last month and we ended up getting the manager to move the couple with their noisy brats. If Im paying over $300. for 2 people to eat a fancy dinner Im NOT tolerating uncontrolled kid's. Please parents of small kid's. If you cant or wont control your little monsters, Please DONT go out to eat! The other diners should NOT have to be subjected to you and your monsters screaming throwing food, making a mess and running around! Go to McDonalds! They like kid's there. There really should be a room separate from the rest of the diners for people with kid's.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:18 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have to laugh a bit at this because I dont consider Olive Garden to be so "fancy" you can't take a child there! I guess you've never been to a real fancy place then if that's your idea of fancy lol I have seen kids often at Olive Garden. If you want to go somewhere without kids I suggest you find a more expensive place cause that isnt it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• does the fact that they also have child menu's with crayons and child cups also not matter? believe it or not olive garden is not a 5 star restaurant, it's a typical chain restaurant just like bennigans or chili's, and it is a FAMILY restaurant. the first time i took my oldest there she was 6 months old, and i always see kids there everytime i go.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Your Olive Garden is much different from ours. Ours is definitely adult oriented, say more than McDonalds or IHOP, but nothing I would consider fancy. And they had plenty to keep my kids occupied. Not to mention that I parent my kids in a way that if they are acting up, we leave. I made sure that they had some small quiet activities to keep them occupied during the wait, plus coloring on napkins.

I've seen very young children in the fanciest places in town who were very well behaved. A lot depends on the parents. and that being said, even the best mannered kids are still kids and have off days. Parents need to be aware of that and be prepared to leave if their kids are being horrific.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I definitely don't see Olive Garden as "fancy" and I have taken DD there since she was about 18 months (that's when they finally built one close to us). There are restaurants I won't take her to...the ones where one meal will cost you $150...but I won't go there either, so there's no problem! LOL

But with that being said, I don't believe you should take your child to any restaurant if they won't behave themselves...even fast food joints. Those paying $5 for their meal don't want to be subjected to your out of control child anymore than someone paying $150 for their meal.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:26 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Ours is VERY fancy, violin players, candle light you name it. I had never been to one so I just assumed they were all like this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• eye rolling

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I definitely agree with the PPs that the Olive Garden is far from a fancy restaurant. I opened this question thinking it would be about a bar or something. I wouldn't think twice about seeing kids in Olive Garden
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My husband and I always take out girls to Olive Garden. We love their food. We always see small children there and we never have a problem. My girls are always well behaved in there. I think it is because they get to color until their meal gets there, lol.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I disagree. I think people should take their kids to dinner wherever they want, if the other diners don't like it they can bounce. Its a family restaurant, and its not a high class place to be. Why can't people enjoy a night out with their kids? I go to Olive Garden sometimes, and people always bring their kids of all ages. People should just mind their business, and if they want a really quiet dinner, go home and cook it yourself and eat in the basement haha. If someone looked at me and my family like that I would get up walk over to them and ask them if they have a problem, and if they dare to say yes, they will wear their dinner.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2011